What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ANR Headsets other than Zulu / Bose

jjet

I see lots of posts about Zulu and Bose. Anyone have any experience with others, DRE, FlightComm, Softcom, etc? Or are Zulu's pretty much the answer?

jjet

I used a conversion kit from Headsets Inc. to make my old David Clark 10-30s into ANR.

Absolutely love the performance, and company support from Headsets Inc.

And the price:D

I have the Flightcom and am happy with it. Can't compare it to others as I have only used the Flightcom.

pdj

I think most people would agree that (at least until recently) if you want the best, and have money to burn, buy the Bose.

Recently, there have been many, many reviews comparing the new Lightspeed Zulu to the Bose, and while results vary as to which is better, my impression after reading them is that *on average* they appear to be equivalent in terms of performance and comfort. They differ in cost by about $150 in favour of the Zulu, if I recall clearly.

Disclaimer: I haven't used either the Bose or the Zulu yet. But I plan to buy a Zulu in the upcoming group buy. I have tried a David Clark with Headsets Inc. upgrade, a Lightspeed 20XL, and the Lightspeed QFR Cross Country. All provided a noticeable improvement over a straight passive headset, but of the three I felt that the QFR was the best bang-for-the-buck. I'm looking forward to getting the Zulu.

anr

I have the flightcomm anr, and quite like it....but didn't have much to compare to.
now I've used the Lightspeed QFR X-cty. the super fat extra headband cushion is comfy, but won't fit under the canopy, so off it came! The zipper left a big scratch the first time I bumped my head on the roof!
audio seems about the same, passive may be a bit better with the lightspeed, but not as good at the low frequ. it would seem ( still hear the exhaust pulses), but no prop.
On either, gel ear seals are a must, not an option. If you don't like how they stick to your face on a a hot day, then call me crazy, but I'd try a cloth cover...the fit and seal are so superior with the gel....especially over sunglass earpieces.

I really think I would try to go flying with some of each brand, and THEN decide if you really want a $249 QFR or need a $900 Bose.
Frankly, if the sound and comfort is similar, I know I'd rather drop the cheaper one :( ,!!! bonus; use the other $600 for something else.

I think most people would agree that (at least until recently) if you want the best, and have money to burn, buy the Bose.

I have tried a David Clark with Headsets Inc. upgrade, a Lightspeed 20XL, and the Lightspeed QFR Cross Country. All provided a noticeable improvement over a straight passive headset, but of the three I felt that the QFR was the best bang-for-the-buck. I'm looking forward to getting the Zulu.

I have the Lightspeed QFR x/c with upgraded ear pads form LS. I then purchased A ZULU set expecting a big step up........... Didn't happen. Mike boom on one side only.... Not the side I wanted. Useless with dead battery. Battery control box with switches was also hard to deal with after using the QFR's. So for now the ZULU will sit in the box it came in.

And...... hands down, the QFR's are the best head set that I have used in the Warrior. They beat out the 3G's that I traded in for the ZULU. The QFR head band pad is not needed. But you do want the ear pads.

Save your money.............. The QFR also has audio in for cell phone and music with radio priority and fade back in....... love it!.....:D

I used a conversion kit from Headsets Inc. to make my old David Clark 10-30s into ANR.

Mike thanks for posting this. I went out and got a set of Bose headsets, can't say I really like the fit. They work nice and all, just that they want to fall off at times and the adjustments always change. I have a set of Dave clarks in the kitfox and my wife has a set of dave clarks. I think I'll order one change over and see how they work. If satisfied, cool lot less money.

Doing some checking, you can buy the 13.4 headset for 275 and than buy the upgrade for 169. Gee add that up and you can get two for one on the bose headsets. If I buy two kits I can have two more ANR sets for a fraction of the cost. Hummmm.

Last edited:
You are welcome.

I watched the forum for used headsets, found a matched pair of older (SoftCom) units in nice condition for $50.00.

I am going to convert them to ANR also, for the rear of the 10.

I would suggest also getting the power supply module that panel mounts the plug, works off ship power. Battery box works well, and is nice for a set that moves around to different planes, but for a set dedicated to a specific plane, go for the on board power.

Also, gel seals are a must for any ANR setup.

I have a Sennheiser ANR set, and it works pretty well and plugs into the aircraft power supply, so no batteries. That said, I wouldn't trade any ANR for my QT halo. The Sennheisers are strictly for passengers. The Halos are as quiet and SO much lighter and easier on my head, and I can wear my hat and glasses without problems. Also much cheaper.

Bob Kelly

I have a DRE that I have been using for about 8 years. I love it. The noise cancelling is great! No complaints here.

And I like my Telex ANR Stratus 50 (Stereo). This is my third Telex ANR. Have had them for around 16 years, and the first one still works great.

L. Adamson --- RV6A

My telex ANR is 17 year young, and still works great! One added benefit this headset has over the newer ones I own is that the telex hears radar pulses. I have at various times heard missile targeting radars (Yuma, AZ confirmed by the controller...he said they were practicing) F-15 radars of some kind (Luke AFB, again controller confirmed) and an en-route center controller radar site. They all made a different faint sound, but I got so I could identify each one.
My newer Bose, Dave Clarks and senheisers are apparently "improved" enough that I never hear it in those... too bad. Telex still gets used if I'm transiting near an MOA during "business hours" ;-)

DM

And I like my Telex ANR Stratus 50 (Stereo). This is my third Telex ANR. Have had them for around 16 years, and the first one still works great.

L. Adamson --- RV6A

I agree, have one and my wife likes it best of any headset I have plopped on her lovely head. (I think that she really is pretty and she doesn't read this forum). I have a Clarity Aloft and can wear it all day and not know it is on my head. It is as quiet for me as any ANR I have ever used.

Another vote....

for the Headsets Inc. conversion. It is a great way to combine the superior Bose like ANR performance and rugged DC construction. They are hard to beat, and backed by a great bunch of folks. Bang for the buck factor is very high. My only advice is to try an in the ear headset first. If you can stand an earplug in flight for a few hours at a time, you will most likely find them to be quieter than any ANR, and if you have music in the cockpit, you will enjoy the great fidelity they provide. Drawbacks are replacing the tips, learning to insert them properly, and their somewhat fragile nature. They are also not the best choice for occasional passengers. Much easier to just snap a headset over their ears!!

Hope this helps...
Chris

I have the complete ANR headsets from Headsets Inc. They look like DC's, but the finish is sort of a hard green rubbery material, instead of shiney hard plastic. This apparently helps with passive NR. The ear seals are nice (gell) and they put a really nice thick pad under the metal head-band. I've been using them for about 3 years and like them... seem like a quality unit for the price. The ANR is very effective (although they're the only ones I've used, so have no basis of comparison).

...I would suggest also getting the power supply module that panel mounts the plug, works off ship power. Battery box works well, and is nice for a set that moves around to different planes, but for a set dedicated to a specific plane, go for the on board power.

Also, gel seals are a must for any ANR setup.

LIke Mike, I updated my old headsets to ANR with Headsets, Inc. kits and gel seals. I started with the 9 volt battery box because I wasn't sure how well I was going to like the updated headsets. After flying with them for over 100 hours I installed the power supplies and haven't looked back.

Gave some duel today and used the owners lightspeed headset with blue tooth. I think I finally found the quietest most comfortable headset ever. (and I either own or have used almost all of them) Tons of features as well.
The feature really set it apart for me. I pod plug in, blue tooth for music or phone...and COMFORTABLE. Mind you, it won't stay on your head for acro or dog fighting. So I'm told... <BG>
Wife will never OK me buying on of these, but if your making the decision, I'd grab one of these over the Bose. (I have a Bose BTW)

DM

I have a Zulu and a Quiet Techonolgy head set. Zulu sits in the back the Quite is on my head.

(I am shure I spelled something wrong - sorry)

Back