What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low Cost Firewall Penetrations

Noah

Well Known Member
Been looking for cheaper alternatives for (wiring) firewall penetrations than those offered by the usual suspects. Came across this at McMaster, $14.63 ea.

Anybody used something like this or have any other ideas for more reasonable alternatives to the $50-$100 offerings out there?

Thanks for sharing ...

... I've been looking for something like this. Checked M-C but somehow missed this one.

... I've been looking for something like this. Checked M-C but somehow missed this one.
You're welcome, I spent about an hour perusing EVERYTHING under stainless steel at McM. The .083 wall is a little thicker than necessary, but not hugely so.
Forgive me if this is a silly question:
How do you secure that to the firewall?
Drill 4 holes in the flange at each quadrant, drill a hole in the firewall larger than the tube OD, insert the fitting thru the firewall, match drill (transfer) the holes in the flange to the firewall, and fasten in place with SS rivets or small stainless screws. Use the same fireseal goop that everybody uses. Use firesleeve to wrap the wire bundle and seal it up good with hoseclamps. At least one of the vendors for these has a tutorial on how to do this online.

Part of my motivation is that the kits offered include the fireproof goop, stainless loop clamps, and firesleeve, all of which I already have. So I just need an appropriate stainless fitting, which this seems to be.

They're very easy to fabricate from scratch; weld a tube of whatever size you desire to a 2" square plate with appropriate holes. You can gang them too, multiple tubes on a single base plate. Inject intumescent caulk for final sealing, the use for which it was designed.

They're very easy to fabricate from scratch; weld a tube of whatever size you desire to a 2" square plate with appropriate holes. You can gang them too, multiple tubes on a single base plate. Inject intumescent caulk for final sealing, the use for which it was designed.

You're right Dan, I need to add welding to my resume of skills. <sigh> Someday!

Back