What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parking brake

While not in a -10, I see no reason why you couldn't do the same thing. Note, the valve is on a small bracket that holds it 3/4" away from the firewall.

Here's the text from my web site:
Here are some pictures of the parking brake routing. The parking brake handle is in the left side of the instrument panel, above the longeron. In the first picture it can be identified by the the brass tube protruding horizontally from right to left and transitions to a silver cable. The second picture illustrates the aluminum angle and adel clamp used to hold the cable sheathing in place above the parking parking brake. The parking bake is the black box with the red caps protruding from it. All that is left is to connect the cable to the brake and run the remaining brake lines. The cap screw that secures the left side of the aluminum angle will also support the fuel vent line. (4/23/06)

Here are a couple pictures of my parking brake valve installation. Pretty straight forward. I haven't installed the control cable yet, but it will be routed to the intended space on the lower console of the Aerosport Products instrument panel.

FP02102009A0001G.jpg

FP28102009A0001F.jpg

what about actuation? i'm assuming cable controlled? where are people mounting that?
cj

I decided I wanted an Airbus/Boeing style parking brake so I did the same thing everyone else did on the firewall except the direction - I mounted it so the cable would come to it from the tunnel.
In the tunnel I built nothing more than a pivoting "stick" attached to the left side of the tunnel. The "stick" goes through the tunnel cover in a thin slot I cut. Pull the handle towards you, the brakes are set; push it forward and they release. I haven't made it pretty yet, so this is the only photo I can come up with.
John

153204k.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

I like it, but how did you fit the lever bracket?

Thanks
Rudi

Wasn't much effort. Let me make a short story long. :D

I attended Dave Saylors RV-10 Fiberglass seminar. There were quite a few folks from VAF also in the class. One of the gentlemen in the class was Dave Ward. Dave makes and sells a variety of options for the RV-10, as we as other OBAM and certified aircraft. I've installed two of his options in my RV-10. The first is a tunnel access panel and the other is a parking brake kit. Dave brought sample products to the class.

Vans is also reselling Dave's parking brake kit. They repackaged it a little differently than Dave's original offering, but I see now that Dave has adopted Vans packaging. I purchase mine through Vans and saved a few dollars, but I don't think there is a difference in price anymore.

Also, Matco has a new generation brake valve called the PV-D. Van's only sells the PV-D, but I think Dave still has the PV-1 in stock. I can't tell you the differences off the top of my head, but the link I provided will give you all the facts.

You can see from Deems' post, you can make your own with out too much difficulty. I'm aware of quite a few other folks that rolled their own too. I took the easy way out. It isn't rocket science, but I tend to buy parts if the pricing isn't too bad. Dave makes great products.

bob

Mine is a copy of what Deems has done.

Simple and easy-----I made it up in poster board first, as I usually do. You can also bend up a couple of tabs to make stops for the open/closed positions, all from a single piece of alum.

As I recall, I used the Facet fuel pump mount that was meant for the tunnel in a carb setup, and just re drilled the mounting holes as needed. Then the cable mount is sandwiched in the middle of the stack up.

Good luck

Last edited:
What do one call that thingamajig that holds the cable to the rotating lever? I need to buy one from Spruce or Vans, but need to know what it is called to search for it :p

I used the same valve pictured. At 275 hours there is a very small leak at the bottom end of the rotating valve stem. I use the parking brake valve on perhaps 3/4 of the flights for relatively short periods of time (refueling, tie down etc.)

We'll probably replace seals on next annual.

Dick Sipp
N110DV 40065

Back