What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keeping an RV-12 in the garage?

Steve Brown

Well Known Member
can the thing be stowed with the tail down so that it will fit into a standard size garage opening?

Any other strategies for doing this?

It seems like a taildragger would fit in the garage much better.

The if's:
-If I can build it in the garage
-Build it as experimental 51% approved kit
-Keep it in the garage for storage and maintenance

Then the numbers might add up in terms of building one of these.

IMHO, the easest way to lower the tail is to pick up by the front gear leg, stand straight up, and you have excellent control and visability to back the plane in and out of a garage. If the front is too heavy, just add some weight to the tail tie down.

Find a runway first

can the thing be stowed with the tail down so that it will fit into a standard size garage opening?

Any other strategies for doing this?

It seems like a taildragger would fit in the garage much better.

The if's:
-If I can build it in the garage
-Build it as experimental 51% approved kit
-Keep it in the garage for storage and maintenance

Then the numbers might add up in terms of building one of these.

Steve, Before you build you may want to find a place that allows "through the fence" operations. Public airports that have received Federal financing are beginning to be squeezed to not allow us guys to bring our planes in, fly them, and then trailer them home. There are some exceptions but finding your runway would be the first thing to do before getting the kit.

Garage Storage

Steve, we built our plane in my double-car garage that has a large single door, with no problem. We put a couple of 2x4's under the nose wheel and that lowered the VS enough to keep it inside.
We're fortunate enough to have a hangar to keep the plane in so we don't intend to remove the wings much.
(We would have had the plane in the air today except the engine wouldn't start)
:(
Meade and George

Steve, we built our plane in my double-car garage that has a large single door, with no problem. We put a couple of 2x4's under the nose wheel and that lowered the VS enough to keep it inside.
We're fortunate enough to have a hangar to keep the plane in so we don't intend to remove the wings much.
(We would have had the plane in the air today except the engine wouldn't start)
:(
Meade and George

Wow, what happened?

Back