What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rosen Sunvisor

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Anyone get a Rosen Visor from Aircraft Spruce P/N 13-05695 ? It's listen new item and for the RV-10. I'm wandering if it's the one most people are using on the RV-10? There is no description, dimensions or photo, and I don't trust ACS.
Thanks Ron

I got a really good deal on my Rosens at OSH, they are very high quality but then so are Alex's..I just mounted mine a few weeks ago and I really like how they look and function. I'll tell you how I really like them in a month or so.:D

Do the Rosen shades now being supplied require you to drill holes through the main door channel of the cabin top?
When the Rosen people were doing the original design, they were told by Van's that it was not acceptable to drill holes through this area as it would likely compromise the roll over structures integrity. A load test of this structure was done, but not with any holes drilled in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the final verdict..

.....When the Rosen people were doing the original design, they were told by Van's that it was not exceptable to drill holes through this area as it would likely compromise the roll over structures integrity. A load test of this structure was done, but not with any holes drilled in it.

...about drilling through the door jamb on the -10?

It reallly needs visors.

Regards,

Van's advice

I too wanted to install those but read Van's note.
Maybe someone could come up with an idea to install visors that mount to the windshield brace, or suction mounted to the windshield.
Anybody?

I looked at Rosen and Blue Sky. Ended up installing Blue Sky from Alex D. and after a year I am very happy with them. I chose Blue Sky because I felt like the size was better for the -10. Lot's less money as well. The Rosen's do look like they are more rugged, but the Blue Sky visors are doing great.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt the two small holes will compromise the safety in a rollover incident.

I just can not see that being an issue.

The value of the visor may actually prevent you from having the incident in the first place!

Well worth fitting Pierre!

DB :)

I seriously doubt the two small holes will compromise the safety in a rollover incident.

The value of the visor may actually prevent you from having the incident in the first place!

Well worth fitting Pierre!

And, I believe it is only one small hole with the Blue Sky visors!:cool:

No offense intended...but this type of statement has been made by engineers since...well since people started engineering stuff.

Engineers get surprised all the time with results that were never imagined.

I have no personal knowledge of how the current RV-10 specific Rosen visors mount, but the reality is...unless it is tested, no one knows what effect the holes have (and hopefully no one every finds out the hard way).

Rosen Visors

We have them on our RV-10. I seriously doubt that there's any structural issues. They attach to the canopy bow via two screws.

No offense intended...but this type of statement has been made by engineers since...well since people started engineering stuff.

No offence taken either, the comment was made by an ENGINEER :)

Its actually the comment made by someone who does not want to make a comment. Does not want to think. Does not want to test........... etc etc.

Just from a visual point of view the location of the holes is not in the main structural part anyway.

If you are that concerned about it....go test it for yourself. this is experimental after all! :D

I think there are far more serious things to worry about.

DB :cool:

They're on the way...

....Pricey, but they're coming..

I'm with DB on this one....only the flange is drilled, not the rollover structure.

Best,

Believe me..... you will love them!

Along with every other dollar we spent on our -10, the visors are also the best thing we spent $$ on.

They're in.....

....and I'm impressed! Slide side-to-side if need be and swivel to cover the side window as well.....classy stuff, well thought out and a great addition to an already fantastic airplane...I'm a happy camper:)

Blue skies 'n tailwinds,

I looked at Rosen and Blue Sky. Ended up installing Blue Sky from Alex D. and after a year I am very happy with them. I chose Blue Sky because I felt like the size was better for the -10. Lot's less money as well. The Rosen's do look like they are more rugged, but the Blue Sky visors are doing great.

I've got 100 hrs with the Rosen's on my 10, and IMO they are overkill. I also believe they are too big. The articulation is nice, but it's really not necessary in the -10 if I were to do it again I'd consider another option.

I agree with Deems. As I said in an earlier post, the Blue Sky visors seemed to be a great size for me. I certainly don't ever find a situation where I cannot get the coverage I need.

My $.02 worth

Back