What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

avionics in lower console?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I'm planning on using one of Geoff Comb's beautiful carbon panels with lower console.
Two AFS 4500's in front of pilot. Using push-pull engie controls, not throttle quadrant. I won't be able to lay out a final mockup until I get the panel.

Avionics I'm planning for center would be:
Garmin 696, 430w, sl3o, gtx327 and pse 9000.

I'd like to put the 696 and 430w in the center of main panel. The gtx 327, sl30 and pse9000 in the lower console below the engine controls.

Without laying it out or flying it, I'm not sure about ergonomics. Love to hear any thoughts or concerns.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

See the planned cutout of Geoff's panel at http://albums.phanfare.com/7068012/3161550_3465046#imageID=64300117

Tom,

You panel sounds almost identical to Geoff's personal panel. I'm going to be seeing him in about an hour. I'll ask him to post a more recent photo.

bob

Bob,
Thanks. The photo came from his construction website. I've been talking with Geoff as I worked through details. He really does nice work.
Tom

Last edited:
I am also waiting to hear about center console avionics Pros and Cons...Seems an easy and logical choice to gain more traditional panel space for BIG screen displays.

Regards
Rudi

Check the angle of incidence for Autopilot

I fashioned a center console and mounted a TT autopilot in it. Later I learned that TT has a spec that limits the maximum angle that the AP can be mounted and my console exceeded the spec. Had to remake a portion of the console. Check the install manual for your autopilot for any limitations,

The first thing to check is to ensure that whatever device you install can function correctly when installed at that angle. I've been told, but haven't validated that TruTrack APs can't be installed on the in the center console due to the angle of the face plate. I seem to recall that Deems had to rebuild his center console because of this issue.

From an ergonomic perspective, my concern would be to keep anything that you would need to touch frequently away from the engine controls to prevent [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']inadvertent [/FONT]changes.

Tom, if you're copying Geoff's basic layout, I don't think you'll have any issues from an ergonomic perspective.

My plans for the flat pack TT(afs version)auto pilot are:
eye level, just left of center, above AFS 4500 on vertical part of panel.
sl30, gtx 327 and pse 9000 to go below on lower center console.
Tom

Make sure you check that any wide, center console stuff mounted just above the floor tunnel will not interfere with full stick movement left & right.

My friends, who just completed their RV-10 (see thread titled "First Flight N678BH"), had built it with the throttle quadrant mounted in a fiberglass center console, and discovered after first flight that the center console, forward of the fuel selector, was too wide and once your leg is in there, you could not make full aileron stick movement, since your leg was getting sandwiched in between the stick and the console.

They are having to rip out that center console and move the quadrant up to it's original position to regain the legroom so they'll have unfettered stick movement.

It's a shame they had to give this up, because the low center console with the throttle quadrant in it looked really cool. An avionics stack mounted in the a similar console in the same location might end up causing the very same stick interference problems if it is the same width.

EDIT: Photos of the center console, before removal, have been posted in the "First Flight N678BH" thread of this forum.

Last edited:
Back