What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Our 1st trip After Phase1 - Grand Canyon, Zion Nat Park

Deems Davis

Well Known Member
Here are some pictures Judy snapped on her 1st trip in N519PJ after completion of Phase 1. We flew from Phoenix, AZ to Provo,UT. and these pictures were taken over Grand Canyon and Zions Nat Park:

DSC07624.JPG

Here's a link to a photo album w several pics of the terrain:
http://deemsrv10.com/album/Trips/06-06-09/index.html

About the GC....

I just got back from the Grand Canyon area myself. I did the Zuni/Dragon VFR corridors at 10.5 and 11.5.

I'm curious, is there any possibility of flying VFR lower than the corridor altitudes? It looks like outside the formal corridors you could get down a little lower but my interpretation is that it's probably 2000' above terrain to satisfy regs.

It would sure be a gas to fly around below cliff level somewhere.

Steve

VR Route

I'm told that years ago, there used to be a Military VR low level training route (VR 1200) that cut across the Grand Canyon twice. The altitude requirements were 500-1500 agl which required agressive manuvering at each rim so as to not bust the top of the route as it was being flown at 540kts. Flight service's response upon questioning the altitude requirements was "we're not happy about it but it's legal...for now". Or at least that's what I was told they said.

What a great trip!

Deems,
Isn't it great to fly your own plane over the canyon? Janet and I did the GC thing 3 years ago. September is the best time (few kids around and room at the rim hotel). We flew up the Zuni corridor and down the Dragon corridor when leaving before flying out to Rosie's place in CA.
You can see our story and pics on our website.
Gene Larsen
Moody Blue, RV9A, (696 hrs.on the hobs)

Back