What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting Facet pump...

rvpilot

Well Known Member
In my -6A and in my -8, the Facet fuel pump was mounted with the outlet angled up. The pump in the -4 is mounted horizontal. I also noticed in the plans for my friend's -3, it shows the pump mounted horizontal. I remember there is a reason for mounting the pump at an angle, but don't remember what it is and if I need to change the mounting in the -4. Anybody remember why the mounting got changed??

Bubbles

The theory I recall for mounting the pump at an angle was to allow air bubbles to pass through. In the horizontal position bubbles could get trapped and cause the pump to cavitate. I don't remember where I read this.

Last edited:
Actually, the pump manufacturer specifies in the supplied documentation that it be mounted that way.
I can't remember for certain, but I think it is supposed to improve pump longevity. Since in most of our applications the pump is not used continuous duty, it may not matter.

Thanks all...

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a safety issue. For some reason I was remembering it was something to do with the mechanical pump pulling fuel thru the idle facet pump. I'll drive on!!

Back