What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lancair Panel for the -10

Phil

Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience with the Lancair style panel for the -10?

About a year ago, I think they sold the panel stand-alone. But now it looks like they want you to buy all the avionics in the process. If that's the option to get the panel, then I'm out. But I sure do like the design and flow of it.

Phil

Don't give up on a panel like that entirely....new things coming down the road for the RV-10. I don't have anything firm yet, but when I do it'll be the best available!

Cheers,
Stein

Is this what you're thinking about?

Does anyone have experience with the Lancair style panel for the -10?

About a year ago, I think they sold the panel stand-alone. But now it looks like they want you to buy all the avionics in the process. If that's the option to get the panel, then I'm out. But I sure do like the design and flow of it.

Phil

Is this what you're thinking about ? http://deemsrv10.com/album/Panel/slides/DSC06533.html

Phil, I bought a Lancair IV panel from Aerotronics (Gary Wirrel) and adapted it to my RV-10.

link to photo album: http://deemsrv10.com/album/Panel/index.html

Link to log: http://deemsrv10.com/panellogindex.html

Mine is from Lancair

I bought my panel from Lancair!

When I needed my panel (January 2006), they were so backed up on wiring panels and had no time to do one for me. They did have time to help do the design work, cut and silk screen my panel.

I flew up to Lancair and sat with them for a day to finalize my design. It was just taking too long over the phone and e-mail.

They did keep to their word on all their delivery dates and did a great job taking care of me. They first sent the fiberglass portion for me to fit and drill all the proper support holes. I sent it back and they painted it and then sent it back with the throttle quadrant in it as well as the panel pieces.

Here are some pictures of the process.

This is me excited that I had the final drawing completed after months of work.
53554067_WUcPW-L.jpg

Picture of drawing. This isn't the final one, revision 15 was the final one. But you get the idea.
I inserted the DVD player.
50049918_DBti7-L.jpg

Pre-fit the panel
56567551_e8eQh-L.jpg

Panel arrives from Lancair
61289519_ozRNp-L.jpg

Finished Panel
203807658-L.jpg

If I were to do it again, I would call Stein and get some help from him. I enjoyed building the panel and it has been great, it just took a long time. Like Stein says, there is some really cool stuff coming, just have a little patience unless you are trying to make Oshkosh 2009.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Here's one we did this summer..although not a "Lancair" panel,it's a fiberglass modular. The pic isn't very good, but the colors of the panel (chosen by the builders wife) are gorgeous. Stinson red with a hint of metallic, gold foil labels and beige frame. Yes...the rest of the plane is every bit as beautiful! There will soon be a much better (best yet available) carbon fiber modular available and I'll post details when it's ready.

Cheers,
Stein

lbrv101.jpg

Scott and Deems: Yeah that's the panel I was thinking of. Thanks for the links and the photos....

Scott: I have always thought your panel was the nicest one I've seen. The time and effort you put into it really paid off.

I've been leaning toward letting Stein build the panel, but that's still a ways down the road. I just wanted to purchase the panel before they went away.

Stein: I'm pretty sure I know the panel that your speaking of and it does look very nice! I plan on being first in line when they're on the market. :)

Phil

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment Phil.

I get the question all the time on how much lower my panel is versus stock and I just realized you can see the stock support behind the fiberglass panel.

56567551_e8eQh-L.jpg

Phil, Drop me a line [email protected] or 480-231-7630 and I can help you a little with aftermarket panels for the RV-10. I am working on several designs including one for the G-900 and Advanced flight avionics, and a center counsole to match and flow as one piece.

Chris

Back