What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navigation lights

Aerosport1

Well Known Member
I am looking for recommendations on which Nav Lights to use in my
RV-10. I have been looking at the Whalen or Aeroflash. LED or standard.
Looking for pros and cons for nav lights systems.

Geoff

Lights

I used the vans light kit. Works great....

Pros, everything comes in the kit and easy to install.

Cons, ??? Haven't flown at night yet.

Rene'
423CF Flying

Go LED

creative air sells a nav strobe light kit that really really works great. I have used 5-6 sets now with no problems. Get the LED strobe combo tail light from kuntzleman electronics

Thanks for your input guys. If anyone else wants to give their opinion please jump in.

Thanks Geoff

I went with the Kuntzleman Electronics LED system. Not flying yet but they look good in the shop. Cheaper, too.

John

Why LEDs?

Until the cost of LED landing, Nav and recognition lights come down to, and the light output come up to that of incandescent I can find no good reason to go with LEDs. With the typical 60 amp alternators, it's not like we are on limited power budgets. The reduce current will not cause me to save any appreciable weight on wiring nor will using less power give me additional horsepower for flight. Granted you will not have to change bulbs with LEDs but the current difference in price can buy a LOT of bulbs.

For interior lighting, they make very good sense however.

The Kuntzleman products seem to be a step in the right direction. A complete Nav/Strobe kit package for a ~reasonable~ price. $620 for the below compares favorable to the Vans System 1 Option B equivalent package. Whealan however wants $280 for one of their LED nav/strobe lights while the incandescent version is $165. Now only if the Kuntzleman light pattern meets FAA specs. That is the problem for a lot of LEDs now, they can't meet the lighting spec of the incandescent equavalent without being really expensive.

kit2.jpg

If I were to recommend anything I would suggest the prospective kit buyer also buy a copy of Bob Nuckolls manual at the same time as buying the preview plans set. Lots of good information falls out while reading that manual and a totally informed decision can be made from there. Can you tell what I've been reading lately? Darn good thing I've been making all the right decisions so far. ;)

Lights

I bought a two strobe and power supply solution from strobes-n-more for $160, red and green position lights at Sun-n-fun for $50 each, and the Whelen tail strobe and white light combo from Vans ($140) to get full light coverage. Oh, and have the wingtip landing/taxi lights, too.

http://websites.expercraft.com/douglasn/

See my builder site with our "wing lighting ceremony" last October. (Gotta celebrate milestones!)

Back