What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Alignment

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Good Morning to All,
I'm getting close to our first flight. While checking and re-checking I noticed that my plane power alternator is out of alignment by 3/16". It is forward of the flywheel by that amount.

I do have a double pulley that was supplied by Vans when I purchased the YIO540D4A5 and firewall forward kit. I also have a plane power 60 amp alternator supplied by Vans.

Have others experienced this and how was this issue handled?

Howdy again,
I did a search and found the info I needed, just not sure if Vans will charge me for there mistake...:))

Toss the answer out there for future searches. I know a buddy of mine had issues with his belt alignment. Not sure how he resolved it though.

Use shims or washers in the lower alt mount to bring it parallel. Misalignment across the parallel axis will create excess side wear on the belt. It also puts more stress on thrust portion of the alt bushing which isn't designed for a lot of load. You will then need the same sized shims for the upper mount as well.

Larry

Last edited:
Toss the answer out there for future searches. I know a buddy of mine had issues with his belt alignment. Not sure how he resolved it though.

The standard flywheel has one pulley, and the stock alternator should line up. The two pulley flywheel is for those that want air conditioning; some shimming will be needed for the alternator.

Use shims or washers in the lower alt mount to bring it parallel. Misalignment across the parallel axis will create excess side wear on the belt. It also puts more stress on thrust portion of the alt bushing which isn't designed for a lot of load. You will then need the same sized shims for the upper mount as well.

Larry

The rotor is suspended by sealed ball bearings at each end, Not a bushing (at least not for Denso-style castings, which B&C and PlanePower use).

The alternator bearings won't suffer too much from misalignment, but the belt sure will.

The rotor is suspended by sealed ball bearings at each end, Not a bushing (at least not for Denso-style castings, which B&C and PlanePower use).

The alternator bearings won't suffer too much from misalignment, but the belt sure will.

I believe you are correct, I was thinking of something different. Alternator usually have a press fit on the shaft.

Good Morning to All,
I'm getting close to our first flight. While checking and re-checking I noticed that my plane power alternator is out of alignment by 3/16". It is forward of the flywheel by that amount.

I do have a double pulley that was supplied by Vans when I purchased the YIO540D4A5 and firewall forward kit. I also have a plane power 60 amp alternator supplied by Vans.

Have others experienced this and how was this issue handled?

I have the same situation and purchased the "spacer kit" from Vans but have yet to install it, soon I hope. It was like $45.00

Mike Cummings

Back