What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closing the Right Elevator

Dave S

I'm working on the right elevator, and at the point where it says, de-burr, prime as desired and then it takes you to the assembly.

I have looked over it twice and then again, and all I see is that the underside of the elevator is match drilled, where am I missing the the top side of the elevator gets match drilled, dimpled and eventually riveted?

Thanks

The instructions will give a bit less "Step-by-Step" instructions as you build.
It is assumed since you've done it before, you no longer need such detail.
De-bur and dimple the top at the same time as the bottom.

Build on!

Do I assume the prior to disassembling to de-burr and prime is when I match drill the tp side, but as I look forward where do I actually close the elevator? I know that sometimes the order of the steps is important, like riveting the count weight skin to the elevator skin before riveting them to the rib is necessary.

Steps

Do I assume the prior to disassembling to de-burr and prime is when I match drill the tp side, but as I look forward where do I actually close the elevator? I know that sometimes the order of the steps is important, like riveting the count weight skin to the elevator skin before riveting them to the rib is necessary.

Yes. They are assuming you recall the order from the HS and VS. Wait till you get to the fuse. :D

Thank you both, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a step or that I was going to close it too soon.

This is why one of the first things Van's instructs you to do is to fully read and fully understand the plans, construction procedure, and process before even starting any construction. This helps you to understand what is to be expected as you progress through the building process and prevent painting yourself into the proverbial corner.

The RV14 and RV12 plans and instructions are more detailed and have that "follow the numbers" idea in mind. Older models do not and it really helps to look and plan ahead. The empennage has somewhat more detail in the instructions. When you get to the fuselage, wings, and other areas, as said, you will really need to be very attentive. I think I nearly mentally built my 7A before I finished the tail kit.

Roberta:)

Back