What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTN 625 promotion extended through end of 2017!

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Back by popular demand! We are very pleased to announce the GTN 625 promotional deal for new G3X and G3X Touch customers has been extended through the end of 2017!

Z2mDO3BXM2enY_YXkxouhgDu74GM7W6MF1rIRjQ06IH6876ELsLoscG8AEGtNPu8PeUPPVv_PpmNpxTvbN8ls82K6a4q07GAomNPHjwyvCaEsmaeFLeF57WIW0yfcNd8ghrB-5e_tTpSHm_NIMyinuFGqinltd9gtXjiux-khWHZw4X8ttBxo80B_OgMK-19-lH6zZ506HyPdtTkh_aQ6clyDjRktNTHx5APdnlYj48QinSZi8ksV4kxv3WsRvlACAtjTR0BRj-7dOc_pG_GJptDvgPqVbsYhy1HFh-Ci_f9-rBdbu0fWmwnpYhfB3Jq81tq4R9fri8aAAT78nLs87J0mEu4ybr4kkBDwRdk4JMkJUYsONNI_TpF4KFbN7-a9rl8SCmIVx6NNhXOzw6baD7vNZE7-H68MGlrCHcj7fOeJubzB83c9vIAwWkUJHESuHTJbJ9YzicseWwQ5YL8TzNns90KzasLh05mjOMxsVWdovjVfC_umjFQSggQI5cq8H9WuKaOidkIPKwalZg7zV52XqigrVwAAn7F9lSzdDwvnvlFHKooU-6MpBuy-fcdLzAzbuRphwX1vOX1-L2EoGPcNvm5695znsC1k2Q7yRrOt1Jr81jJ8vMrXwlXo9FI986Ez9oWW1GyCy1pn_xuSf3TwEodr7oeoNsFP-CWOg=w301-h140-no

This deal gives new G3X or G3X Touch customers the option to purchase a GTN 625 system complete with installation kit, data card and antenna for just $5495! As an example, customers can purchase all the equipment required for a core 10.6" G3X Touch with approach certified GPS capability for less than $12,000!

The GTN 625 gives the ability to file and fly IFR enroute, shoot LPV approaches and execute other GPS based procedures completely coupled to the G3X autopilot. Other great features include:

• 2020 ADS-B Out compliant GPS solution for the GTX 35R or other Garmin ADS-B Out capable transponders
  • As with all GTN series products, compatible to display ADS-B weather and traffic data from the GTX 345/345R/45R series ADS-B In/Out transponders
  • Take-off / Go-around (TO/GA) button integration with G3X, allowing you to automatically sequence into the missed approach procedure while remaining coupled to the autopilot
  • Fantastic Garmin Connext capabilities (read more about it on VAF here)

As usual, if you have any questions, you can get additional information by contacting us directly at [email protected] or by contacting your Garmin dealer.

Thanks,
Brian

Is there a matrix that can show the functionality and cost differences between the GTN 625 and the GTN 650? Or, in the absence of any documentation showing this, can you describe the differences in functionality of these two units? In other words, provide any kind of cost/benefit analysis of the two units mentioned?

What about non G3X owners? I'd buy one for that price if it was available to me.

Just sayin...

No. Sorry, it has to be purchased with a G3X or G3X Touch system to receive the promotional price.

Thanks,
Brian

Specs/capabilities for the 625 here:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/67882#specs
Specs/capabilities for the 650 here:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/67882#specs
Looks like with the 625 you are just missing a com and the Nav, so it's seems to be a relatively simple business case. I hope this helps.
Tom.
Thanks for the post but both of your links navigate to the same spec sheet for the 625. Nothing about the 650. I have been able to read the spec sheets for these units. I was just hoping to see a matrix detailing the fundamental differences between the two units.

650 has a comm radio, glide slope/vor
635 has a comm radio
625 only gps nav. ... These appear to be the only differences.

Absolutely nothing is wrong with that.

What gets me is all the talk about how expensive it is to produce and certify an IFR GPS. Unless they are selling it at a loss with this promotion, the "retail price" is double the cost. Once again, they are free to do that.

It is just frustrating that our options are so limited in the IFR GPS market, and the prices reflect that.

Come on ... "sales tactics like this". All they are doing is offering a discount when certain products are purchased together. What's wrong with that??

And keeping in mind that most of the GTN's they sell go at full price to the certified aircraft market, this is a discount specifically aimed at the experimental community. Forgive me if the criticism of Garmin's discount makes me wince.

Come on ... "sales tactics like this". All they are doing is offering a discount when certain products are purchased together. What's wrong with that??

The problem is that our capitalist system only works well when there is competition. Most monopolies (e.g., utilities) have to be regulated to keep the consumer from getting taken to the cleaners. For all practical purposes Garmin has a monopoly on the low cost end of ifr TSO'd GPS. (It's enforced by the incredibly expensive TSO rules from the FAA). For anyone to use their monopoly position to gain advantage where there is a free market (e.g., EFIS) doesn't seem right. This is the function of government - Garmin should do what it thinks is best to maximize profit unless the government says otherwise.

If Dynon or another company thought there was a profit to be made by producing their own ifr navigator at a price that would undercut Garmin's sales, don't you think they would enter the market themselves?

Seems to me the price is right even if there is little competition. I think this promotion is one of the ways Garmin is trying to sway a potential customer their way. Go Garmin says I!

If Dynon or another company thought there was a profit to be made by producing their own ifr navigator at a price that would undercut Garmin's sales, don't you think they would enter the market themselves?

Seems to me the price is right even if there is little competition. I think this promotion is one of the ways Garmin is trying to sway a potential customer their way. Go Garmin says I!

Don't Bendix/King and Avidyne both offer viable (if under-represented in the market) IFR navigators?

Back by popular demand! We are very pleased to announce the GTN 625 promotional deal for new G3X and G3X Touch customers has been extended through the end of 2017!

Z2mDO3BXM2enY_YXkxouhgDu74GM7W6MF1rIRjQ06IH6876ELsLoscG8AEGtNPu8PeUPPVv_PpmNpxTvbN8ls82K6a4q07GAomNPHjwyvCaEsmaeFLeF57WIW0yfcNd8ghrB-5e_tTpSHm_NIMyinuFGqinltd9gtXjiux-khWHZw4X8ttBxo80B_OgMK-19-lH6zZ506HyPdtTkh_aQ6clyDjRktNTHx5APdnlYj48QinSZi8ksV4kxv3WsRvlACAtjTR0BRj-7dOc_pG_GJptDvgPqVbsYhy1HFh-Ci_f9-rBdbu0fWmwnpYhfB3Jq81tq4R9fri8aAAT78nLs87J0mEu4ybr4kkBDwRdk4JMkJUYsONNI_TpF4KFbN7-a9rl8SCmIVx6NNhXOzw6baD7vNZE7-H68MGlrCHcj7fOeJubzB83c9vIAwWkUJHESuHTJbJ9YzicseWwQ5YL8TzNns90KzasLh05mjOMxsVWdovjVfC_umjFQSggQI5cq8H9WuKaOidkIPKwalZg7zV52XqigrVwAAn7F9lSzdDwvnvlFHKooU-6MpBuy-fcdLzAzbuRphwX1vOX1-L2EoGPcNvm5695znsC1k2Q7yRrOt1Jr81jJ8vMrXwlXo9FI986Ez9oWW1GyCy1pn_xuSf3TwEodr7oeoNsFP-CWOg=w301-h140-no

This deal gives new G3X or G3X Touch customers the option to purchase a GTN 625 system complete with installation kit, data card and antenna for just $5495! As an example, customers can purchase all the equipment required for a core 10.6" G3X Touch with approach certified GPS capability for less than $12,000!

The GTN 625 gives the ability to file and fly IFR enroute, shoot LPV approaches and execute other GPS based procedures completely coupled to the G3X autopilot. Other great features include:

• 2020 ADS-B Out compliant GPS solution for the GTX 35R or other Garmin ADS-B Out capable transponders
  • As with all GTN series products, compatible to display ADS-B weather and traffic data from the GTX 345/345R/45R series ADS-B In/Out transponders
  • Take-off / Go-around (TO/GA) button integration with G3X, allowing you to automatically sequence into the missed approach procedure while remaining coupled to the autopilot
  • Fantastic Garmin Connext capabilities (read more about it on VAF here)

As usual, if you have any questions, you can get additional information by contacting us directly at [email protected] or by contacting your Garmin dealer.

Thanks,
Brian

Awesome! Thanks Brian.

Garmin makes great products, but sales tactics like this reinforces the reason I went with Dynon.

Why is this a "sales tactic"? I think it's a great promotion to purchase more products. Many large companies do this to promote purchase of products that customers may not otherwise purchase.

That's what I thought too until recently - from their website All Garmin avionics products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for the earlier of: 2 years or 800 flight hours from the date of purchase for new TSO remote-mount and TSO panel-mount products; 1 year or 400 flight hours from the date of purchase for new Non-TSO remote-mount* and Non-TSO panel-mount*. *All new G3X units, including Non-TSO remote-mount or Non-TSO panel-mount, are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for the earlier of: 2 years or 800 flight hours from the date of purchase. Maybe someone can explain the apparent ? contradiction here ? Which is it, 1 or 2 years ?

Interesting that some of the competition is 3 years & nowhere near the out of warranty repair costs. ......just saying, because many make their purchasing decisions based on the call of various respected posters here including Stein ;)

Warranty Period

Which is it, 1 or 2 years ?

Hello Jakej,

We understand why this may be confusing. Garmin makes a lot of products and the warranty statement is broad. There are some non-certified products like portable GPS units that have a 1 year warranty, but as stated at the bottom of the warranty page v in the Rev. AA G3X Installation Manual, all G3X system components have a 2 year warranty.

With regard to the suggestion that out-of-warranty repair costs might be excessive, due to the reliability of the G3X system components, the repair costs of many devices have come down over the past few years.

For example, the only device with mechanical moving parts in the system is the GSA 28 autopilot servo and it currently only costs $100 to repair or replace this hard working component regardless of what might wear out or fail.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Tooch,

Yes, this is the unit. And don't forget the $5,495 price even includes the rack, connectors, SD card and WAAS GPS antenna.

Seems like a good time to also mention that the new GTN Garmin Navigation Database pricing for the U.S. is $299/yr. IFR flying is never cheap, but with the GTN 625 providing legal single navigator IFR enroute and WAAS LPV precision approach capability into thousands of runways, this is a pretty attractive solution for EAB. The GTN 625 also provides the ADS-B+ position source data needed by all Garmin (and some other) ADS-B Out capable transponders.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello Tooch,

Yes, this is the unit. And don't forget the $5,495 price even includes the rack, connectors, SD card and WAAS GPS antenna.

Seems like a good time to also mention that the new GTN Garmin Navigation Database pricing for the U.S. is $299/yr. IFR flying is never cheap, but with the GTN 625 providing legal single navigator IFR enroute and WAAS LPV precision approach capability into thousands of runways, this is a pretty attractive solution for EAB. The GTN 625 also provides the ADS-B+ position source data needed by all Garmin (and some other) ADS-B Out capable transponders.

Thanks,
Steve
Just one note to remember considering this unit and these prices. Do not overlook the fact that a "G3X is REQUIRED" at that price. I was thinking hmmm, maybe. . . Until I saw that caveat. Since I don't have a G3X currently, and would have to install one, I am still talking a lot of money to install this capability. Whether Garmin or anyone else, installing IFR capable equipment is no where near inexpensive. No matter what "marketing" is employed to make the sale.

The Val NAV 2KR remote nav radio says G3x support is "limited". It then goes on to say "EFIS is unable to directly select frequency on either unit but can be selected from a list" and "On NAV 2KR volume control is not available." Does anyone know how difficult it is to select a frequency from a list in the g3x? Also can the volume just be turned all the way up or is there no Nav audio at all.

G3X Touch frequency tuning video link

The Val NAV 2KR remote nav radio says G3x support is "limited". It then goes on to say "EFIS is unable to directly select frequency on either unit but can be selected from a list" and "On NAV 2KR volume control is not available." Does anyone know how difficult it is to select a frequency from a list in the g3x? Also can the volume just be turned all the way up or is there no Nav audio at all.

You should be able to get a better idea of how frequencies are tuned from this G3X Touch video. I'm not sure what level of integration Val has added, but I suspect they would at least let G3X Touch tune the standby frequency.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Love the Garmin 625, update cost is another story

I love my Garmin 625. It does what its supposed to do.... GPS "certified" en-route AND approaches.

The down side is the cost of the updates. I have both an IFLY GPS and AFS EFIS and the updates of those combined are less expensive than the Garmin 625 updates. I guess the certified GPS has different maps or something.

Funny, the GPS495 I sold for less than the cost of 1 year of updates. Those updates are a hidden cost for the newbie's. Who would have ever thought that updates would cost more than what the equipment is worth? Nevertheless, you gotta have the goods to be legal and that's what we pay for, grudgingly.

Please Offer A Similar Discount On The GTN 650

My only complaint is that it´s not for the 650... the same savings for G3X-GTN 650 would make it a done deal.. hint, hint ;)

I agree! Sure wish there was a discount for ordering a GTN 650 with a G3X system, as I want a Nav receiver and the GTN 650 seems like a better solution than a 625 plus an additional stand-alone radio.

Last edited:
Not sure why there is "whining" ongoing with the options owners have today. The price of the GTN 625 is spectacular with the G3X. I took that deal. And, I removed everything in my panel and sold it and paid for it so I got new equipment and new warranties and new technology for basically a swap. The pricing today versus the IFR panel from 10-15 years ago is cheaper and more capable and less problematic and the updates are less expensive. There is a lot to love in avionics choices today and little reason to complain. I will never understand why anyone would complain if a discount was offered. Good for Garmin.

So how do you take advantage of this deal? I dont see this discount on the websites.

Exactly what is the minimum required to get this discount? 370 touch + ahrs kit quality?

Back