What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A Nose Gear Breakout Lbs Confirmation

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi all,

I just had my IA upgrade my nose gear and fork to the newer model. He set the breakout to 13lbs as he couldn't find the specs and set them to Grumman standards.

After looking at the old rv6a schematics, I found 22lbs.

1) I wanted to confirm it should be 22lbs
2) what would happen if flown with 13lbs?

Thanks,
D

22 LBS is the correct value.

With 13 LBS there is a high likelihood of shimmy. Fallout from the shimmy can be anywhere from nothing, to a destroyed tire and wheel pant.

Scott,

At the other extreme, what about a situation where the flats on the large castle nut do not line up with the cotter pin hole, and therefor a higher breakout force is used? Something much greater than 22 pounds. What would the net effect be? Will it loosen up sufficiently over time, or be a non-event?

Thanks,

Greg Novotny :D

Scott,

At the other extreme, what about a situation where the flats on the large castle nut do not line up with the cotter pin hole, and therefor a higher breakout force is used? Something much greater than 22 pounds. What would the net effect be? Will it loosen up sufficiently over time, or be a non-event?

Thanks,

The torque exerted on the nose leg retaining bolt will be higher, potentially resulting in wear and possibly a broken bolt. The broken bolt will allow the nose gear leg to rotate and the prop to make contact with the ground. Ouch. There are pictures and a full thread on exactly that happening somewhere here on VAF.

I find mine doesn't loosen over time; if anything, it gets slightly tighter due to dirt etc. binding things up.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just had my IA upgrade my nose gear and fork to the newer model. He set the breakout to 13lbs as he couldn't find the specs and set them to Grumman standards.

After looking at the old rv6a schematics, I found 22lbs.

1) I wanted to confirm it should be 22lbs
2) what would happen if flown with 13lbs?

Thanks,
D

Interesting, since the Grumman Standard for the 4 seaters is 10 - 22 lbs at the axle, and the force definitely lowers over time so a number nearer 22 lbs is best for an initial setting.

Scott,

Thanks,

It always loosens up when new.
I recommend people check it after the first 15-20 hrs and then again after another 50.
At that point it usually stops loosening up.
I wouldn't recommend setting it above the specified value. As mentioned it exerts more load on the leg and will result in much higher brake wear.
It is totally acceptable to drill new cotter pin holes for a new nut position. I wouldn't have a problem with a bunch of hole positions.

We always used 23 lbs plus if necessary. Be sure not to put any lube on th Belville washers as this is not the correct procedure and will give false breakout torque settings.

We always used 23 lbs plus if necessary. Be sure not to put any lube on th Belville washers as this is not the correct procedure and will give false breakout torque settings.

It is the correct procedure for the similar Belville washer setup on a Grumman though...

Back