What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA XP3

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I keep hearing about the EAA XP3 program (a structured approach to Phase 1 testing), but I can't seem to locate it anywhere.

My understanding is that it is still in draft form, but I would think it would still be more helpful than letting a pilot come up with his own plan.

Supposedly many people are requesting it, but I don't know if they are allowed to see it or not.

Paul Dye, can you weigh in on this? What is the official word on getting a draft version of it, or can you site reasons why the draft isn't being given out?

I tried a search here, but came up with nothing. It might help if we had an official reply.

XP3

I know that a group of us from the canard community gave our input, editing the document through maybe 3 revisions. That was completed in March of 2015. Since then I used that and AC90-89B to create a full Phase 1 test protocol and test cards. I'd share them, but being specific to a canard they probably are minimally useful to an RV.

Last edited:
This is really a question for the EAA forums, but I can tell you that yes, I have used a draft version for a test program and to provide feedback to the folks working on it at the EAA. I was also given permission to talk about it publicly, but I was asked to not publish it, since it is still undergoing revisions, and the plan is to make it part of a new Advisory Circular with the FAA. I don't know anything more about the timing of a release, but I do know that it is still undergoing some changes to make it better.

Paul

This is really a question for the EAA forums, but I can tell you that yes, I have used a draft version for a test program and to provide feedback to the folks working on it at the EAA. I was also given permission to talk about it publicly, but I was asked to not publish it, since it is still undergoing revisions, and the plan is to make it part of a new Advisory Circular with the FAA. I don't know anything more about the timing of a release, but I do know that it is still undergoing some changes to make it better.

Paul

There is an EAA forum? Can somebody provide a link sinceI can't seem to find it. :eek:

XP3 was started by the Homebuilt Aircraft Council ten or so years ago, and got as far as a complete, fully formatted document. (I've still got it somewhere on my computer.) The program stalled out because EAA did not have enough staff to support the program. Since leaving HAC, though, I've not followed developments. The need has not gone away, certainly.

Can't send a PM

Ed,

I tried to send you a PM, but your inbox at VAF is full.

Is their any chance you could dig up and send me a copy of the EAA XP3 document that you have?

My direct email is cjd9 @ me.com

If so, I promise you a flight in my RV-8 when she gets out of Phase 1 (first I have to finishing building her).

The old XP3 pre-dated glass cockpits and digital data collection. I think the flight test maneuvers will remain more or less the same, but the XP3 team will get to do a *ton* of spreadsheets for data reduction.

Ed

Back