What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming engine types

Could anybody explain what does the engines codes mean (A,,B,C, etc). I?m planning to buy and overhaul an used O-360 and I need to know if it will fit in my RV-8.

Thanks

Jose

it would take more room than Doug allows to fully answer your question. What engine model are you looking at? Some are conical mount, others are dynafocal 1 or 2. Some are rear induction, front or rear governor drives, some use different mags, carbs, injection set ups. the list goes on.

Almost any O-IO 360 could be used with maybe the exception of the IO-360 C1D6 for example being its a rear injected engine.

Hope this helps,

Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be a guide in the engine section of your manual; section 11 in the -7 preview plans I have. It's for Lycoming but Superior used a similar, if not identical, convention. So you should be able to look up the model there and have a good idea. Or, as suggested, give us the full model of the engine you are considering and someone will interpret it for you.

Many thanks friends, I supposed that it would be difficult to answer the question. I?ll do like you say and once I have some options will let you know in order to take a correct decision.

An RV-8 (non A) will fit almost ANY Carbed (O) 360 except the series out of a Grumman tiger/Cessna Cutlass (I think it's a -G? Horizontal mounted carb). The A series are the most common.

Injected engines are also almost all supported, but the easiest ones would be the IO-360-A, B, or M. Remember you have to pick an engine mount that works with the - number you have picked.

O-320's are a different can of worms, and require more knowledge than I have to break down the differences...

That would be an...

An RV-8 (non A) will fit almost ANY Carbed (O) 360 except the series out of a Grumman tiger/Cessna Cutlass (I think it's a -G? Horizontal mounted carb). The A series are the most common.

...O-360-A4K from a Grumman Tiger that would not work in either -8 model.

The same sump with a rear facing carb. is also used on these other models...

-A1G6
-A1G6D
-A2G
-A4G
-A4J

...and also won't work without carb, sump and intake pipe swapping at a minimum.

Not all -A models are created equally....:)

Engines

And, if it has ever been in an experimental, take note that few builders go through the trouble of restamping the name plate if they have made changes. Things like sumps, accessory cases, cranks, pistons, etc. are often not what the the model would indicate. Take nothing for granted.

Geeze, I though the -A was the sump... back to the books for me.
...O-360-A4K from a Grumman Tiger that would not work in either -8 model.

The same sump with a rear facing carb. is also used on these other models...

-A1G6
-A1G6D
-A2G
-A4G
-A4J

...and also won't work without carb, sump and intake pipe swapping at a minimum.

Not all -A models are created equally....:)

Hi Steve,

I had previously downloaded some of your links. However I can no longer open the files. I am trying the links again, but they seem to not work.

http://www.rv7factory.com/files/engine_choices.pdf
http://www.lycoming.com/support/trou...ces/SSP108.pdf

If you're wanting some 'light' reading on lycoming engines you might like to look at the Key Reprints of the Lycoming Flyer (http://www.lycoming.textron.com/supp...e/key-reprints)

Would anybody have these documents? Specifically "engine_choices.pdf".

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

AJ

You also need to consider whether you may ever want a constant speed prop. In that case you need a hollow crank, normally designated with an odd number in the dash number, e.g. O-360-A1A. The hollow crank can be configured for either constant speed or fixed pitch but you're stuck with fixed for the solid crank.

Hi Steve,

I had previously downloaded some of your links. However I can no longer open the files. I am trying the links again, but they seem to not work.

http://www.rv7factory.com/files/engine_choices.pdf
http://www.lycoming.com/support/trou...ces/SSP108.pdf

If you're wanting some 'light' reading on lycoming engines you might like to look at the Key Reprints of the Lycoming Flyer (http://www.lycoming.textron.com/supp...e/key-reprints)

Would anybody have these documents? Specifically "engine_choices.pdf".

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

AJ

Yes the links did not work for me. The RV manual did have a table at one time. I assume that the new ones (other than my 25+year old one) also has.

A quick Google search came up with this. It looks a lot like what is in my RV manual.

Last edited:
Lycoming

There was an internet rumor a few years ago that stated on one day in the late 90's Lycoming actually produced two identical engines with similar designations.

Sacramento Sky Ranch Engineering Manual

Could anybody explain what does the engines codes mean (A,,B,C, etc).
Thanks

The secret decoder ring can be found in a copy of the Sacramento Sky Ranch Engineering Manual, which I recommend owning a copy of. Lots of good information in there.

Lycoming Engine Codes

here:
C Letters indicating the engine's configuration:

I Fuel injected
O Opposed type (pancake-style)
X X-type engine
R Radial type engine
G Engine is geared
T Engine is turbocharged
S Engine is supercharged
L Engine is left-turning
A Engine is designed for aerobatics (DRY SUMP)
AE Engine is designed for aerobatics (WET SUMP)
M Engine is designed for unmanned drone (UNCERTIFIED)
H Engine is designed for helicopter installation
V Engine is designed to have the crankshaft in the
vertical, not horizontal, plane. Usually implies
"H"

D The engine's displacement in cubic inches.

M Configuration. Includes power rating, nose section,
accessory section, counterweight application, and
magneto application.

Example from the Lycoming Overhaul manual:

TIO-541-E1B4D

Where:
TIO - The prefix as described above.

541 - The engine's cubic inch displacement, as described
above. A 1 at the end indicates an integral
accessory drive (e.g. TIO-541) except for the
76 series engines (see below).

E - Power section and power rating for the displacement
1 - Nose section (provisions for a prop governor,
hollow/solid crankshaft, prop governor
location)
B - Accessory section (fuel pump type, accy pad(s), etc.)
4 - Counterweight application (if applicable, see the power
section to determine this)
D - Dual magneto (if applicable)

Back