What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any disadvantages to the Grove gear?

Hi Everyone,

I've been searching the forums for threads about the Grove landing gear and it appears opinions are universally positive. Before buying a set, I wanted to see if anyone knows of any disadvantages (other than the cost, of course)? Are there any maintenance issues? Are they less forgiving of less-than-perfect landings? That sort of thing...

Thanks,
-Ross

From what I've heard recently, the biggest problem may be actually being able to buy them. They will only be built in small batches, and you may end up waiting a long time to get a set.

No down side

I have them on my -8. I've flown both the Vans and the Grove and they both work good. The cost is the only downside. I installed the Hotel Whiskey aux fuel tanks which weighs 13 pounds. I put the grove gear on which saved 11 pounds over the standard -8 gear. That way I only increased My weight by 2 pounds which I thought was a great trade off for 9 gallons more fuel capacity.
Bob

Well, after 3 days and 800+ views, nobody has anything bad to say about the Grove gear, so I guess it really is that good. :)

For what it's worth, I called Grove today to ask about lead times. The short answer is that they'll be starting a production run of the airfoil gear in June and it will be about 10 weeks after that before they're shipped. The non-airfoil gear can be made one order at a time, but it's still 10-12 weeks lead time right now. I guess they're pretty busy...

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
-Ross

Thanks for the update. I'll make a note of contacting them in June. I'd really like a set of their airfoil gear, and even with that lead time, it would arrive way before the quickbuild kits will!

Back