What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended Oil Levels for IO-540

AaronG

Well Known Member
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it with the search engine.

What is the recommended oil level for an IO-540-D4A5?

It can hold 12 quarts, but I suspect you need to use much less than that.

For my RV-8A, anything over 5.5 qts on the 8 qt sump quickly exits the engine.

Aaron

I NEVER have more than 10 in the sump and then only after a fresh oil/filter change. I keep mine between 9 and 9.5 although I suspect there are some that run even a little less. Defintely anything over 10 will blow out very quickly.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

Holy cow.......... we put in 8 and it seems to prefer 7.

Our leak downs are good too....5% typically. Has been this way since new.

We started using 9 but it seemed to pump it out all the time.

What does everyone else think?

I typically ran between 7 and 9. Like Bob, I never put in more than 10 during an oil change, which resulted in a level of 9 once the filter filled up.

9-10 for me

I will add at our just below 9 quarts. Just like everyone has said, anything over 10 will exit the engine.

Yes, I agree with the less than 9 theories. I try to keep it at nine and it doesn't want to stay there. I've only got 90 hours on it, but am about ready to see what it does at 8.

Vic

Yes, I agree with the less than 9 theories. I try to keep it at nine and it doesn't want to stay there. I've only got 90 hours on it, but am about ready to see what it does at 8.

Vic

With 130 hours, this has been my experience, It holds much better @ 8-8.5 than above.

I use 8 to fill it at oil change. 9 if I'm going x country.

I can confirm the engine still runs with closer to only 1 quart in it... without roasting or seizing anything... for a few seconds anyway.....:(

Interesting Doc, we find 8 at oil change is finebetween 6.5 and 8 is what throws less out.

Maybe we are unlucky but above this you get a very oily plane.....no corrossion issues under there! :D

Mine usually hovers around 9 qts. I'll put in 10 at oil change. I'd rather clean the bottom than pull the engine.

240 hrs. And trying to figure out how to leave the office and put some more on.

Dr Fred.
515 FW.

Back