What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel landing RV 7

Robb

Well Known Member
I am getting better wheel landing my 7 as time goes on. Big difference from landing my Husky with 29 inch Bushwheels. I have been landing with full flaps and neutral trim. It seems like I am always end up a little tail low when touching down. I was to try partial flaps and see how it goes but I thought I would throw it out there and see what ideas other more experienced guys have the best luck with. I also have been landing in final with around 1600 RPM. Just trying to get rid of the bounce as the gear is way stiffer than my Husky. I have three points nailed. Thanks in advance

There are no secrets that don't apply to any other tailwheel airplane - just practice. Those 29" Bushwheels produced so much wheel drag on touchdown that they caused a forward pitching moment that eliminated bouncing, making wheel landings pretty automatic. The 5:00x5 tires on the RV-7 don't produce near the drag, so you need to be more precise with descent rate at touchdown and quickly nudging the stick forward a little as soon as the wheels touch. Husky Gear is actually stiffer than those springy RV spaghetti legs, but it's the tires that make the big difference. If you're late nudging the stick forward on touchdown in the RV, the springy gear can cause you to dribble down the runway more so than the stiffer Husky gear w/ soft tires. Even if your descent rate at touchdown is less than perfect, if you quickly load the mains sufficiently at touchdown before it has a chance to bounce, the gear recoil will not cause the plane to become airborne again. The gear will simply do a flex cycle while still firmly attached to the ground. Touching down very slightly one wheel first also helps.

I did notice when landing on one wheel it was easier. If I get more aggressive with forward stick pressure I bet it helps a lot with the bounce. After 1200 landings in my Husky its just different than the RV. It sure is a blast to fly and a lot of fun. Now I see why there are so many out the flying.

Yep, more push on the stick will help stick em. Also a bit of down trim helps as well.

You really do not need a big push on the stick. One inch is all you need. Quick timing without delay as the wheels touch is the real key - not pushing more. If you pull off a real grease job you don't need any forward push at all. The slight drag of the wheels alone is enough to stick it. I was never a fan of the forward trim idea that many folks advocate. I prefer the more natural feedback of the stick you get as you round out and feel the "lift" reserve when trimmed for approach speed. Regardless of how you're trimmed, you still have to react on touchdown. But everyone needs to find what works best for them.

I am a new RV9 owner. Made my first solo landings yesterday after 14 dual landings and had two greaser wheel landings. Quit for the day on that high note. Went back today and made three okay wheel landings but no greasers. Disappointed I put the airplane away because all three landings were the same and I couldn't figure out what I was doing differently than yesterday. I came to the conclusion sitting on the couch trying to figure out the difference that I was slightly flaring and was not putting any forward pressure on the stick at touch down. I was relieved to read the comments of this post. Being a new RV owner and having very little tailwheel experience I am delighted to know that I figured out my problem on my own.
Loving my 9.

Landings

I haven't found a good way to consistently 3 point the -7 b/c the AOA at the 3pt attitude on the ground is less than the stall AOA. So, the airplane is still flying when you touch down. This makes it easy to bounce a few times before you slow down enough to stick on the ground.

What I've found works best for consistent landings is a full-flap tail-low wheel landing (like OP mentioned). You flare almost like a tri-gear a/c and then nudge the stick forward when you touch down. A couple other local RV-7's seem to like this best as well.

It takes a bit to get used to. But once you got it, you can make really good consistent landings in a variety of conditions. The -7 is a real pussycat for a taildragger. Tons of control authority and tracks nice and straight.

I did notice when landing on one wheel it was easier.
I read someone suggesting this here a few months ago and have found it's made my wheel landings a lot more consistent. There's almost always a *little* bit of a crosswind, and I find if I "feel" for the runway with the upwind wheel, I can pin it on, then lower the other one.

Otherwise, the -6 likes to come in tail-low as well and then lock it on the runway by raising the tail as the mains touch, which takes finesse to get the timing right. The -7 is probably no different.

Did 8 great wheel landings but it was calm air this morning. Forward trim really helped a lot with keeping a level flight attitude. Seems like 65 knots was the best speed. Getting easier transitioning from my Husky. I was just landing too fast lately for some unknown reason. Was able to transition on touch and go's from left to right wheel just like my Husky . It just takes a little more speed until the ailerons become effective. Plane is a blast to fly

Back