What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mandatory Alert Service Bulletin

ROTAX ALERT SERVICE BULLETIN

Reference Rotax ASB-912-059UL. I for one am confused, the ASB refers to another ASB, ASB-912-059 which talks about the "power take off side" Given that RV 12s don't have a power take off would it be logical to believe that ASB-912-059UL does not apply?? If it does apply has anyone out there done the inspection? If so, how about some feed back as to the difficulty involved, tools, doos, don'ts etc of the job. Has anyone found a crack? Finally, is ROTAX in the habit of denying any responsibility for what is obviously a factory manufacturing defect . Love to hear what others are doing.

Reference Rotax ASB-912-059UL. I for one am confused, the ASB refers to another ASB, ASB-912-059 which talks about the "power take off side" Given that RV 12s don't have a power take off would it be logical to believe that ASB-912-059UL does not apply?? If it does apply has anyone out there done the inspection? If so, how about some feed back as to the difficulty involved, tools, doos, don'ts etc of the job. Has anyone found a crack? Finally, is ROTAX in the habit of denying any responsibility for what is obviously a factory manufacturing defect . Love to hear what others are doing.

Rotax ASB-912-059UL is for UL engines and ASB, ASB-912-059 is for Certified engines. If you are building an RV12 as a Elsa then you have bought your engine from Vans which means you have a 912ULS engine so you would use ASB-912-059UL. You need to check the serial number on your engine and compare it to the serial numbers listed on the Alert Service Bulletin to see if yours needs to be checked. See this web link on a video and more info about the bulletin. If your serial number matches then you will need to use a mechanic to complete the inspection. ;)

http://www.rotax-owner.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=285

See this video that also explains all you need to know.

http://www.rotax-owner.com/information-reg/elearning-videos-reg/289-crankasb

Hi John,

Thank you for the directions to the detailed information that is very helpful.

Now if someone would be kind enough to tell us where we get the $ 1,000 from Rotax to pay the shop to check our engine (if it is on the ASB) to see if we have one of their manufacturing defects.

You all may recall that when Lycoming had a similar problem their wallet was open and the problem was paid for including the inspection.

I am sure Rotax will want to do the same if anyone can actually find someone who works for Rotax.

Best regards,
Vern

Rotax ASB-912-059UL is for UL engines and ASB, ASB-912-059 is for Certified engines. If you are building an RV12 as a Elsa then you have bought your engine from Vans which means you have a 912ULS engine so you would use ASB-912-059UL. You need to check the serial number on your engine and compare it to the serial numbers listed on the Alert Service Bulletin to see if yours needs to be checked. See this web link on a video and more info about the bulletin. If your serial number matches then you will need to use a mechanic to complete the inspection. ;)

http://www.rotax-owner.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=285

See this video that also explains all you need to know.

http://www.rotax-owner.com/information-reg/elearning-videos-reg/289-crankasb

I wouldn't count on it!

Hi John,
Thank you for the directions to the detailed information that is very helpful.
Now if someone would be kind enough to tell us where we get the $ 1,000 from Rotax to pay the shop to check our engine (if it is on the ASB) to see if we have one of their manufacturing defects.
You all may recall that when Lycoming had a similar problem their wallet was open and the problem was paid for including the inspection.
I am sure Rotax will want to do the same if anyone can actually find someone who works for Rotax.
Best regards,
Vern

I think you will find that Rotax is NOT of the same mindset as Lycoming.

Rotax, still having issues

I think you'll find this is exactly why some of us are slow to jump on the Rotax bandwagon.
Yup, thousands in service out there, decades of experience and production worldwide; still these things keep cropping up.
Sure, all engine builders are going to have problems - it's how they are dealt with that separates the good ones from the 'others'.

best of luck to all you builders out there.

For what it is worth I just checked my serial number against the ASB and my engine, which was delivered by Van's December 2010 is about 120 numbers short of the start of the problem and as Rotax sells these engines to lots of people I would guess that by April of 2011 some of the engines delivered by Van's may be effected. It does not sound like fun I wish you the best of luck.

Best regards,
Vern

recvd our engine from vans in September ... It's SN was below the given affected numbers. All good here

serial no.

I received my engine in September of 2010 ... I'm guessing that would put me in the clear too.

RV-12 kit #412, engine kit delivered 2/11, engine sn 6777368 - SB does not apply - SB starts engine #6777492 (124 engines later).

Back