What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 32-06 Warning

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Not a big deal but this may save some future builders the aggravation I went through yesterday.
Steps 4 and 5 are about attaching the WD-1215 Flapperon Torque arms which is happening in very tight quarters. In step 4 I found quickly that the AN3 bolt would not pass through the holes of WD-1215 because of the paint. A bit of filing solved the problem. Unfortunately, after struggling through the attachment both WD-1215, I found that, in step 5, I had the same problem for attaching the WD-1215 to the pushrod assemblies! There is no way that you can file the inside of these holes once the WD-1215 are attached: I had the disassemble the two WD-1215 to clear the holes!
... and I consider myself lucky that the 4 AN-960 that were superglued to the brackets stayed in place through the two installations :cool:

Not a big deal but this may save some future builders the aggravation I went through yesterday.
Steps 4 and 5 are about attaching the WD-1215 Flapperon Torque arms which is happening in very tight quarters. In step 4 I found quickly that the AN3 bolt would not pass through the holes of WD-1215 because of the paint. A bit of filing solved the problem. Unfortunately, after struggling through the attachment both WD-1215, I found that, in step 5, I had the same problem for attaching the WD-1215 to the pushrod assemblies! There is no way that you can file the inside of these holes once the WD-1215 are attached: I had the disassemble the two WD-1215 to clear the holes!
... and I consider myself lucky that the 4 AN-960 that were superglued to the brackets stayed in place through the two installations :cool:

Well when you are well into the fuselage kit I would have hoped by now that we all understood that Van's does not do finished holes for any bolt so if you see the plans call for a bolt ream the holes with the correct size drill or a proper reamer, this is particularly true of any powder coated part as it is just the nature of the process. That task is much easier if the tail cone is not attached to the front fuselage but that is the way the plans are.

Best regards,
Vern

Well when you are well into the fuselage kit I would have hoped by now that we all understood that Van's does not do finished holes for any bolt so if you see the plans call for a bolt ream the holes with the correct size drill or a proper reamer, this is particularly true of any powder coated part as it is just the nature of the process. That task is much easier if the tail cone is not attached to the front fuselage but that is the way the plans are.

Best regards,
Vern

Yes, Vern, I should have known better but hey, I'm just a struggling newbee who thought this could help other newbees as prone to screw-ups as I am (I may be wrong but I believe that the market for the RV-12 has more potential customers with my profile than with yours :)). Obviously VANs cannot address such issues and this posting should not be construed as a criticism of their instructions.
BTW, I don't think that the attached tail cone created an access problem as long as the fuselage lays on its side and the aft windows are not installed. I was just thankful that my hands are thin enough to wring their way through these tight corners.

BTW, I don't think that the attached tail cone created an access problem as long as the fuselage lays on its side and the aft windows are not installed. I was just thankful that my hands are thin enough to wring their way through these tight corners.

If you have the tail cone installed when you do the installation of the flapaeron tubes the aircraft would have to be on its wheels or upright on a table so that you can crawl back to the rear of the baggage compartment to mark and remove the parts so that they can be drilled and re-installed, if the tail cone is off you stand behind the aft baggage bulkhead and have full access to the part and it is a very simple job.

Best regards,
Vern

I was really gloating when I stood behind and did mine easily with full access, tailcone not attached.

If you have the tail cone installed when you do the installation of the flapaeron tubes the aircraft would have to be on its wheels or upright on a table so that you can crawl back to the rear of the baggage compartment to mark and remove the parts so that they can be drilled and re-installed, if the tail cone is off you stand behind the aft baggage bulkhead and have full access to the part and it is a very simple job.

Best regards,
Vern

Best regards,
Vern

Darn! Too late! :eek:

Even if the tail is on, as long as the rear window (and its side skins) are not in, it is still easy to drill, remove, and re-install the flaperon tubes. Use the long extension drill bit and reach in from above. Mine was on a table at this point, not on the gear. No problem at all.

Very hard to beat this easy to reach system:
domey1.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks! Someplace between using the non autopilot section and the autopilot one, it got reversed. I had it correct once! (Assuming you are talking about the reversed one on the right side control rod).
A couple of times I have posted photos and some sharp eyed person found an error. It pays to post photos if you are old.

Don, check page 44-05 step 7 for the bolt orientation:

Hard for me to tell if you have good welds in WD-1215-L/R-PC per the Safety Alert. I see the powdercoating but do not see weld material?? Maybe just the lighting in the photo??

Last edited:
No, the welds on mine were perfect, quite sufficient, nice job even. Fortunately they were laying on a shelf when that info came out, so I could look them over carefully.

Back