What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 32-09, Figure 2

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Was getting my stuff ready to put the wings on and drill the flaperon controls tomorrow, and saw I needed one AN3-21a bolt to lock the flaperon control system. Went searching, and found I did not have one of those. Looked on the packing lists and apparently this bolt is not even included in the kit. Is this going to be another one of those week long holdups for want of a single simple bolt?

Just go to the local hardware store and get a #10 machine screw of sufficient length. This is only to hold the parts in alignment while you drill the torque tubes.

Hi Don,

You could use the chuck end of a 3/16 drill bit with some masking tape wrapped around it so that it is 1 & 5/16 long beyond the tape, would save you the expense of buying a bolt. It is only used as a pin to lock the mixer.

Best regards,
Vern

Looking around, I found a long an3 on the stab trim mechanism, will borrow it for the drilling.

Page 32-10 Step 1

During final check before first flight, the PAP says:
Place flap handle in "retracted" position and have a helper hold the left flaperon trailing edge in line with tip trailing edge. Verify right flaperon trailing edge is 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch below the trailing edge of the wing tip.
I was not very happy when I read that. Why did they have me hold the flaperons flush with the wing while drilling the flaperon torque tubes if they want the flaperons drooping? I had to take the seats out and remove the covers and adjust the length of the push rods.
Joe Gores

Last edited:
I had to take the seats out and remove the covers and adjust the length of the push rods.
Joe Gores

Hi Joe,

Surprised to hear that. As I recall, my flaperons drooped just the right amount after setting up all the push rod ends as specified.

John

Unnerving experience

Surprised to hear that. As I recall, my flaperons drooped just the right amount after setting up all the push rod ends as specified.
John
Well then, maybe I did something wrong. It would not be the first time. :D Perhaps the flap handle was all of the way down but not in the notch. That happened to me during the 5 hour test period. After climbing to 10,000 feet and leveling off, I heard a pop noise and the aircraft did a couple of porpoises. That was very unnerving. I had no idea at the time what had happened. Later I realized that it must have been the flap handle snapping into position as the RV-12 changed attitude from climb to level flight.
Joe Gores

During final check before first flight, the PAP says:

I was not very happy when I read that. Why did they have me hold the flaperons flush with the wing while drilling the flaperon torque tubes if they want the flaperons drooping? I had to take the seats out and remove the covers and adjust the length of the push rods.
Joe Gores

Exactly what all of us had to do. As I remember, the plans tell you to clamp the flaperons so the trailing edges match with the flap handle locked in the fully retracted position. Then you drill the torque tubes. THE PLANS MAY HAVE CHANGED OR I MAY NOT BE REMEMBERING ALL SO FOLLOW THE PLANS.

Prior to the first flight, i REMEMBER I had to adjust the length of each torque tube (both of them) to allow for the droop. Go for 1/8" TO 1/4" on each. This allows for the flex of the flaperon upward due to the airflow when at speed.

Last edited:
Exactly what all of us had to do.
It seems to me that it would be a whole lot easier if the flaperons were shimmed and clamped with 1/16" droop while drilling the flaperon torque tubes. Doing that would probably save a couple of hours labor. Or am I missing something?
Joe Gores

It seems to me that it would be a whole lot easier if the flaperons were shimmed and clamped with 1/16" droop while drilling the flaperon torque tubes. Doing that would probably save a couple of hours labor. Or am I missing something?
Joe Gores

Hi Joe,

If you follow the Van's instructions and have the measurements on the tubs exactly as they tell you, with both flaperons clamped when you drill the torque tubes you will end up with the 1/8 " droop on each side that they have you measure as 1/4" on one side with the other side clamped even with the wing tip. There is some built in play in the system that permits the droop.

Best regards,
Vern

Back