What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waiting for Godot... and the SkyView

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
The more I progress in section 31, the more I find steps that I have to skip because the work involved will have to be changed for Skyview. I am beginning to be concerned by the number of loose ends wiring that I will be left with. I also have this problem with the wings terminal blocks that will be replaced with connectors per VANs facebook presention but this involves fewer wires. Of course, one option would be to follow blindly (or should I say blissfully?) the instructions and undo what needs to be reworked later but I hate to waste good parts as well as my time. Depending on how VANs will document the Skyview installation (as a retrofit vs as an all new equipment for a blank slate) my only option might be to follow current instructions. Any suggestions/ideas from you guys who are in the same situation?

Number 461 is in the same holding pattern, I have no answers for your questions.
I don't think the re-do of stuff will be too extensive really, but that is just a guess.

I too am in the same spot. When I got to the "optional harness" with the AP-74 connection I stopped and went on to the canopy. Still have the gas tank to do also so I can keep occupied for a while until the Skyview is available. I hate to have to redo things.

Its only been about 10 months of waiting and it looks like several more as Mitch will not get the Beta test installation done until the end of this month assuming that he gets the kit some time soon, then he will report his suggestions for changes and improvements to the kit and the plans, which will take some time to implement, then kits have to be built and they have to give us a few days to place orders and send money as they do not take plastic for the avionics kits. Looks like we will be very Lucky to see kits by Christmas at the current rate of progress. Very sad and one of the reasons that we are not seeing very many first flights.

Best regards,
Vern

I ordered and installed the autopilot servos some time ago, they are all installed and wired up.

:) I'm in the same boat. Waiting on Skyview. Someone at Van's told me they will have three catagories of Skyview kits, including one for builders who have completed, per plans, everything but the electrics (switches, etc) and avionics. I think they are planning on basically conversion harnesses. Don't know that for sure.

Doug Dahl, 9A and 12, 12 waiting on Skyview

OK, I cannot stand it any longer - - what the heck is the Godot you are waiting for?

The more I progress in section 31, the more I find steps that I have to skip because the work involved will have to be changed for Skyview. I am beginning to be concerned by the number of loose ends wiring that I will be left with. I also have this problem with the wings terminal blocks that will be replaced with connectors per VANs facebook presention but this involves fewer wires. Of course, one option would be to follow blindly (or should I say blissfully?) the instructions and undo what needs to be reworked later but I hate to waste good parts as well as my time. Depending on how VANs will document the Skyview installation (as a retrofit vs as an all new equipment for a blank slate) my only option might be to follow current instructions. Any suggestions/ideas from you guys who are in the same situation?

Waiting for Godot is an absurdist play by Samuel Beckett, in which two characters, Vladimir and Estragon, wait endlessly and in vain for someone named Godot ...

Best regards,
Vern

Waiting For Godot was forced reading for college students back in the 60's. Those of us aspiring to be engineers considered it a waste of paper.

I actually participated in a production of Waiting for Godot. One of the discussions was was how to modify the tree between acts. I was young and foolish once.

Hmmm...Godot

I became an engineer because I didn't have enough personality to become either an accountant or an unemployed English major, but, as I recall from my "dry labbing" (skimming through the Cliff notes) of Waiting for Godot, it became apparent halfway through the play that the characters had no idea who Godot was or why they were waiting for him... At least we kinda/sorda know what we are waiting for in this case.

Last edited:
Do you know how you can spot an extroverted engineer?
When he talks to you, he looks at YOUR shoes.

Bill H.
BSME

Skyview retro

The Godot information was interesting........thanks!

For whatever it's worth I emailed Vans support twice over the year since starting my RV12 and inquired about the Skyview option. The first email projected between Sun-n-fun and Oshkosh and the second project "the fall." The last note from support advised they wanted to get it right so go ahead and install finish kit electrical per-plans and the conversion kit will accomodate those moving forward with the finish kit. I mention the wing connection points as I have built the spade connector plates and I too saw the plug configuration system on the power point. Again, Vans emailed they would get it right and this is why it is taking so long.

I believe I will wait once the Skyview is released to allow beta testing to continue then order when I have too..........even if I would like it now.:cool:

Back