What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing Kit Sequence

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Just starting finishing kit, I have an issue with the order of the sections due to my workshop size and upcoming Skyview update:
- The first section is wings fitting, requiring me to pull the fuselage outside. As the fuselage is sitting on a table, I would rather start putting the wheels on to allow the fuselage to move around the shop more easily. Any problem with this later?
- The wiring comes next but I understand that the Skyview update may involve adding wires all the way to the back. May be I could wait for the issue of the Skyview retrofit next month?
For the time being I could start with the Canopy and fuel tank sections after the wheels but I would appreciate if any of you who have been through the finishing kit has any comment on potential problems with this sequence.
Thanks for your time.

I am having to do mine in similar fashion. If all goes acording to plan, I will not attach the tail until I have the engine installed even. I am about to put mine up on wheels now since the canopy skirt is finished. Any input appreciated. My wing install and flap control drilling will be done later in the build. I too am waiting for the Skyview option to be available.

Fitting the wing can be done one wing at a time which only takes about 6" more than the space to do the wing build. I would suggest that you make two spacer to fit in the space where the other spar would be, a simple piece of 2 x 4 cut to the correct thickness so that you would have two finished pieces that are about 10" by 3.5" by the thickness of the spar to place just inside of the spar pins to keep the spar of the single wing in the correct place while you do the work on the flapaerons drive rods, which is a good deal simpler if you are standing just behind the opening to the baggage compartment in the rear of the baggage compartment. Then just remove the first wing and do the other wing.

I would get all of the wiring and plumbing in place while the fuselage is still on the table with out landing gear as it is much harder to turn it on its side to get to the center tunnel with the gear on it. Waiting for Skyview is a pain, my aircraft is just sitting with the engine on and tail cone off waiting for news and what to fix before it can be closed up and the Skyview avionics kit installed, no real work done for about 8 months now.

Best regards,
Vern

I went to Oshkosh with full intentions of coming home with a Skyview. After looking it all over and thinking about it, I think that probably waiting for the Vans kit will be a wiser move. I know it will be easier, and I sure did not want to cut out a new panel etc, and lots of the stuff that will come with the Vans kit is stuff I would need to get from them anyway.
Hang in there Vern, it has to happen soon!
Don

Do all of the poly brake line work AND the install of the brake pedals with the fuse still on its side. There are two small brackets in the miscellenea section that go under the panel that are also MUCH easier to do with the fuse on its side.

Do all of the control linkages with the plane still on its side as well. I did the wing attach and flaperon drilling with the plane on a foam pad on a table, not yet on the gear. Then turned it back on its side to finish up all of those linkages and install the pedals.

Also have the tail attached but not the final top skins that define the rear window opening. They just get in the way - save them for almost the last thing that you do (see many other posts about this.)

THEN install the gear! I did that with the plane still sitting on the table. With the engine not yet installed, three guys EASILY lifted the whole thing (including the attached tail) and another person slid the table out from under. Two guys could have probably done the lift.

Great guidance I think. I had forgotten about those two silly brackets, got to get them installed now rather than later. Thanks for the reminder! I had not considered doing the wing deal BEFORE on the gear, I might just do it that way too. Space and manpower are my limits..

Great guidance, Bill, just what I was looking for (just a bit late for the skins around aft window :eek: but at least the window is not in the way).
Thanks!

wait or go

I too am in this stage, finish kit install while waiting for skyview, and I emailed Vans about it. Ken s. replied and said to move forward with everything in the finish kit and Vans will complete the installation instructions and parts to install the skyview. Ken noted the time it is taking to release skyview is directly associated with making sure an accurate and complete installation kit is created.

I did order the servos to install since the 2 with the D 180 are the same for Skyview.

Mitch Locke mentioned at OSH that he was going to be installing the Skyviews as soon as he got back from the show. I wonder if he is the guinea pig for the install kit and instructions? Of course his would be a retrofit but it would give a good idea if the instructions were right.

Mitch Locke mentioned at OSH that he was going to be installing the Skyviews as soon as he got back from the show. I wonder if he is the guinea pig for the install kit and instructions? Of course his would be a retrofit but it would give a good idea if the instructions were right.

We call it Beta test in the industry, makes Mitch look better! :D

Back