What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

912 Engine purging

KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
OK- I am ready to purge the engine! Instructions say to remove the oil return line to the reservoir and place the outlet below the engine.
Do I really have to do that? That line is very, very difficult to get to and to pull it out from behind the engine.
How have others done this?
Would like to know before I go to that effort.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Here is a short cut that works fine. Put 3 qts of oil in the canister. Remove one plug per cylinder and use the starter to crank the engine over to build oil pressure and purge the engine. Monitor the Dynon for oil pressure. Don't run the starter more than 15 - 20seconds before letting it sit for 5 mins to cool. Mags must be off. Run the OP up to 30 - 50 PSI 2 -3 times letting the engine sit 3-5 mins inbetween runs and you are good to go.

The oil will not be returned to the canister until you put the plugs back in and turn the engine over (by hand) Some of the compression is used to push the oil back into the tank. You can do this by hand after installing the plugs are installed. Add oil as needed to get it to the flat part of the dip stick.

JMHO

Last edited:
OK- I am ready to purge the engine! Instructions say to remove the oil return line to the reservoir and place the outlet below the engine.
Do I really have to do that? That line is very, very difficult to get to and to pull it out from behind the engine.
How have others done this?
Would like to know before I go to that effort.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Hi,

We have done most of them here by using the hose from one of the kits that is not as far along. We just disconnect the real hose at both ends, cap the oil tank fitting with an AN Cap and attach the borrowed hose to the bottom of the engine. We did one by just putting a plastic dish under the bottom of the engine so that we could see when oil came out the bottom and it worked OK just a little more mess. It takes three people, one to hold the oil collection plate, one to turn the prop and one to read the oil pressure on the Dynon. We also did one using a 2 x 2 from a Van's crate drilled in two places and bolted to the prop flange which saved having to put the prop all together just to turn the engine over.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Vern

Back