What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage bulkhead battery access

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I'm sure someone has come up with a good way to access the battery without removing the bulkhead. It would be great to see all the ideas and pictures from those who have added this mod.

Thanks,

Pat Stewart

This has been brought up in the past. The bulkhead is a structural member......

Last edited:
YEs, But...

Yes It's structural, but an opening can be crafted with doublers and reinforcements to maintain/increase the strength and still allow access without removing the entire bulkhead (Just like a wing access panel)

I was more concerned about electrical access instead of physical.

You know when you need to charge or even jump start, when you forgot your masters on. Physical access should just be necessary when all 'electrical access' fails.

Plug is flush with baggage floor and easily accessible via baggage door, and it will be hidden by baggage carpet, out of sight. Being on the inside of the fuse you don't need to weather proof it. In the corner means is structurally stiff without needing any additional reinforcement. Plugs rated for 150A continuous and 600A short durations.

fuse_062.jpg

fuse_075.jpg

fuse_065.jpg

fuse_066.jpg

fuse_076.jpg

fuse_088.jpg

Last edited:
Great set up. Rudi. I am sure one day I will wish I had done the same as I just have a charging option.

Before you close up the floors, make sure the connector will clear the bulkhead ribs as it looks real close and you may not be able to make the connector.

I would have hated to have not said anything just in case it was a problem down the road. Real easy to move now if you have to, just a bigger slot. Based on all your workmanship I am sure you checked all ready.

Rudi,
I did a similar setup using the same type connectors. I made another 10 foot mating cable terminated in jumper-cable jaw type connectors so I can hook up to an external battery or similar should the need arise.
Be sure to protect the cable from the ribs, etc. since there is no fuse on those wires.

Battery access

I agree its structure but I would not think primary, and no doubt you can frame up the opening structually and even make it stronger than it was originally. Just curious if there are pictures from builders who have already added this modification.

Pat Stewart

Nice installation! I'm interested in doing something similar for my Rocket project, where did you find this connector?

Thanks!

Mark Olson RV-7A flying, F1 Rocket EVO - close to flying

The plug does clear the bulkhead and baggage corrugations, because the corrugations are higher up.

Yes those wires are protected both by a thick outer wire plastic wall (it is welding wire) and plastic sleeving in the baggage rib lightening holes, and then plastic grommets in a aluminium backing plate in the rear bulkhead. Look carefully.

Rudi

Last edited:
Deems,

Thanks for the pictures, it looks great, did you get the additional material by ordering a new blkhd or do you have another source.

Pat

I bought my rear seats from Aero Classic and so I used the original rear seatback material. I think I might have some left, I'll have to check

Going back a few posts, someone asked where Rudi got his connector. Rudi has used the same as I did and here in South Africa this is standard on electric fork lift trucks. Very sturdy and fool proof.

Just out of interest - here is my install. It is mounted using a strong piece of angle and as you can see the wire runs are very short.
Hopefully I will never have to get in there when on a journey or so.

rv10_059.jpg

rv10_060.jpg

Back