What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mid July XC destination suggestions ?

glider

Well Known Member
Yes, I know we have 'trip' section on the forum, but since this is more a question of time than location (sorta) I figured it might be better to ask the forum!

So imagine the following scenario:
You have secured a plane for two weeks mid to end July...
Where would YOU go ? We're departing from Oregon.

Unfortunately we're too early for Oshkosh otherwise that would have been on the list... Any other suggestions on must go destinations ?
Any other flight related events at that time ?

I have thought it would be fun to plot a course based on listings in the "RV Hotel" pages.

Figure the general direction you want to go, see what you find along the route.

This would be a good way to meet fellow RVers, see sights that might not be normal "tourist" stuff, and save a bit of $$$ all at the same time.

July 8 - 12 Arlington Air SHow
http://www.eaa.org/calendar/eventdetail.aspx?id=3552

You might want to go here
http://www.eaa.org/calendar/

and search for what is going on with in the range of your travel.

What type of plane and how far are you willing to travel?

Kent

Canby ? You fly from Aurora ?

Anyway, I guess its time to confess - I don't have a RV (yet), the s.o. says NO to experimentals (have to work on her some more) so I have to do with a PA28-180 so far.
So about 110knots in cruise (and 8-9 gallons/hr, gulp!).
But it does seat four or three with luggage (we will be three on the trip).

Arlington is a little early though - we're departing around the 15th or so.

Last edited:
Do a loop

Oregon
Couer D Laine , ID
West Yellowstone
Jackson Hole, Wy
Salt Lake City,UT
Las Vegas, NV
Lake Tahoe, Ca
Sonoma/Napa Valley, Ca
Grants Pass (Rogue River)
Home

Well considering where you are from ...

The Columbia River Basin just east of you and Gold Beach just southeast are more of car trip material for you. If you have an airplane for a couple of weeks that is big travel time and you want to get out of the west where you go when you make weekend trips and really travel.

One of my favorite trips out of Southern California where I lived for the last 25 years of my working life was to Macinac Island in the straights of Mackinac/Lake Huron between mainland Michigan and the Upper Peninsula. There is an airport on the island that is run by the state I think. There is no fuel but it is well maintained. No cars are allowed on the island which is approximately 8 miles around but they have horse drawn taxis. Staying in the Grand Hotel there for our 25th anniversary was a great experience. We rented bicycles and road around the island, toured the fort, had tea in the afternoon, semiformal dinner in the evening and danced to the music of a full orchestra in the ballroom at night.

The stops along the way add to the experience in a more spontaneous way.

Bob Axsom

Oregon
Couer D Laine , ID
West Yellowstone
Jackson Hole, Wy
Salt Lake City,UT
Las Vegas, NV
Lake Tahoe, Ca
Sonoma/Napa Valley, Ca
Grants Pass (Rogue River)
Home

End & beginning looks really good, haven't been to any besides Napa Valley (but I'd def go again!), Las Vegas and sort of Grants Pass. Any other destinations more east of there ?
(since we will be partly doing this to log XC time a couple of just flying days would be OK, but I definitely want to explore on the ground as well)

Last edited:
The Columbia River Basin just east of you and Gold Beach just southeast are more of car trip material for you. If you have an airplane for a couple of weeks that is big travel time and you want to get out of the west where you go when you make weekend trips and really travel.

One of my favorite trips out of Southern California where I lived for the last 25 years of my working life was to Macinac Island in the straights of Mackinac/Lake Huron between mainland Michigan and the Upper Peninsula. There is an airport on the island that is run by the state I think. There is no fuel but it is well maintained. No cars are allowed on the island which is approximately 8 miles around but they have horse drawn taxis. Staying in the Grand Hotel there for our 25th anniversary was a great experience. We rented bicycles and road around the island, toured the fort, had tea in the afternoon, semiformal dinner in the evening and danced to the music of a full orchestra in the ballroom at night.

The stops along the way add to the experience in a more spontaneous way.

Bob Axsom

Sounds like a great idea! I'll check what my friends want to do. Thanks for all suggestions!
Gold beach is nice for sure - small town with lots of good restaurants and nice beaches, perfect for a get-away.

The makinac island, over to pelee island (southern canada) to Niagara Falls, up to tobermory, ontario, manitoulin island over the top of the great lakes (sault ste marie) (wawa ontario) across to thunderbay and back around would work for me. Beautiful scenery, low traffic, a few islands and some visits to another friendkly country. But then i am a little biased

The makinac island, over to pelee island (southern canada) to Niagara Falls, up to tobermory, ontario, manitoulin island over the top of the great lakes (sault ste marie) (wawa ontario) across to thunderbay and back around would work for me. Beautiful scenery, low traffic, a few islands and some visits to another friendkly country. But then i am a little biased

I haven't crossed into Canada yet, I'll look into what needs to be done, but otherwise that sounds nice!

Beaucoup options. Utah has many National Parks, Page AZ and Antelope Canyon. Monument Valley. Google them and think about it.

Don't forget the Washington San Juan Islands! After July 4th, the weather usually clears up for some great flying around these parts!

Beautiful trips

St. George Utah (Zions national park) beautiful and great golf if your into that (half price during summer months). I would second the Yellowstone national park( a couple very fun Idaho back country strips are also fairly close.) McCall Idaho again beautiful and relaxing. Short trip Sedona Arizona(great lunch trip). If you can use the whole two weeks I think there is almost no place more beautiful than Alaska during the summer. Head on up to Homer or seward or Anchorage. Gorgeous, and phenomenal fishing. I haven't personally been to Glacier national park or Yosemite but heard great reviews on both. Good luck I'm jealous : )

I used to have a hangar at Aurora.

Canby ? You fly from Aurora ?

Anyway, I guess its time to confess - I don't have a RV (yet), the s.o. says NO to experimentals (have to work on her some more) so I have to do with a PA28-180 so far.
So about 110knots in cruise (and 8-9 gallons/hr, gulp!).
But it does seat four or three with luggage (we will be three on the trip).

Arlington is a little early though - we're departing around the 15th or so.

Now I fly out of Lenhardt's.
If you end up in Gold Beach, try to do the jet boat ride, 1/2 mile walk from the airport.

My summer flying will be to Durango, Co. Going to ride the train there. We will also be visiting Santa Fe. I read a nice review on Pagosa Springs, Co and may need to check it out.

Kent

Back