What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nut plates on door hinges

Rick S.

Well Known Member
Just a quick tip to pass on that Deems Davis clued me into. single lug nutplates on the door side of the hinge. This took about an hour to do but it is well worth the cost of the 16 nutplates and installiing them on the hinge.

I had to do the door dance yesterday for several rounds and being able to use the electric drill without the hassel of nuts and washers saved at least an hour of cussing. When the door harware and windows are installed (they get heavy!) it makes it so nice not having to balance the assembly and put on the washers and nuts. Thanks Deems!

dang...

that's the most brilliant idea i've heard in awhile. i've been putting off some additional door fitting stuff because they're such a bummer to remove and install. you guys are smart.

cj

Great idea Deems! Not there yet, but could you please let us have the part number of those single plate nuts used? Thanks.

Dumb question...

Probably a dumb question, but as I'm not to this step yet, do you then remove the nut plates for final installation, or just use them as is?

Thanks,
Dwight

Dwight,

Deems and I covered the opening to the hinges with glass cloth so they are staying in. Granted the nut will lose some of its self locking resistance but I didn't put them in till late in the build and I plan to use thread locker, probably the blue stuff on the final install. I can't see the screws loosening and if it becomes a problem I'll put new plates on or deform the barrel a bit first to restore the feature. Everyone can do themselves a favor by using hardware store non locking nuts for mocking up the doors and hinges, especially if you are using the overhead console as I am. I lost count how many times I took them on and off...Also another fun fact...The doors never seem to go back on exactly how you had it after each install. The trick is to get the door into position and work your way around alternating the sequence of each screw until they are all tight...Jeeez I'm really glad I don't have to take them off but a few more times.

Back