What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seatbelts in the RV-10

Bart

Well Known Member
I?ve been looking at Hooker Harness for the seat belts in my RV-10. Has any dealt with these folks and if so what type of seatbelts did you purchase, any accessory equipment, etc. As always any inputs from this group is always appreciated.

My belts are from Hooker. Biggest different that I noticed (and what made spend the extra $$ over what Van's offers) is that the latching mechanisms seem to be of much higher quality. Nothing quantitative, just impressions from trying both.

Bob
N442PM (flying)

I believe you can also get the Hookers through the Rocket guys for a little less than the list price on Hooker's site. My RV is my second homebuilt with Hooker Harnesses and I wouldn't change a thing.

Bart,

I put Hooker Cam-Loc belts in my -9 and love the things. They do weigh a bit more than the standard belts but they are very easy for a novice to put on and take off.

Set the knob to the center and then insert each belt until it clicks in place. No need to hold it all together with your third, non-existent hand, as you search for each belt.

To get out, simply turn the knob and they all fall away.

Probably the only drawback is the price. But then again, I can say my wife gave me a pair of hookers for Christmas! :eek:

I went with Hookers when I found out they had an inertial reel model that attached to the same single point bolt/screw (It did require a bushing)...

IIRC correctly Hooker provides a discount to RV builders

I know it's been a while, but has anyone attached an inertial reel to the seat back? Did the seat need reinforcement?

Not a good idea

I know it's been a while, but has anyone attached an inertial reel to the seat back? Did the seat need reinforcement?

I suggest you read what Van penned in sport aviation concerning a builder that did something like that. It was not recommended.

Please research this as changing the seatbelt attachment anchors can have unintended consequences that can lead to the seat belts harming the occupants instead of saving them…

I suggest you read what Van penned in sport aviation concerning a builder that did something like that. It was not recommended.

Please research this as changing the seatbelt attachment anchors can have unintended consequences that can lead to the seat belts harming the occupants instead of saving them…

"At What Price?" by Dick VanGrunsven, Sport Aviation, August 2011, Page 94.

"Mod Masterpiece”, the article on the RV-10 he was critiquing appeared in the June 2011 issue.

I installed the Hooker cam lock with the inertial reel. The reel units have a single hole mount and were installed per Vans plans. Not cheap, but very comfortable and excellent quality.

I installed Hooker belts in the 8A, the 8 and the first 10. For the new 10 I got Crow. The Hooker belts are overkill for the RV-10.

Carl

I just ordered the Crow harness from the seller on here (Crawford aviation I believe) took about a week to arrive. I’ve never seen the other options but they are pretty sweet.

What are the advantages of the Crow or Hooker in the 10 (assuming no aerobatics...)?

I actually switched to the Crow after having the stock Vans ones in my 10. It seemed it was taking more time to explain how to buckle the belts to passengers than the trip I was taking,(little exageration).

On the Crows you can click in the lap belt first then the shoulder harness.

Hi

I have installed AMSAFE inertial reel seatbelts in 3 -10s. I created a hardpoint in the rear cabin top (similar to one for front seats) and attached them there being careful to maintain geometry. The AMSAFE belts are not inexpensive but they are very nice to use.

I started using these as a result of a group buy 10 years ago.

If you are interested, PM me and I will send details.

Back