What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eggenfellner web page?

AJ85WA

Well Known Member
Hi Guys

I was just trying to find the eggenfellner web page but cant seem to get access to it? Any ideas?

AJ

I too was looking for his Subaru site. I contacted him by email and he provided me with a link to the Subaru info within his Viking site. http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/subaru.htmL
He doesn't seem to want to maintain the separate Subaru site. He said he was looking for a less expensive website provider. But that was a while ago and no site. I suspect he is dumping the Subaru all together and focusing on the Viking engine. If this is true, it is most unfortunate for those of us still building and already committed to the engine installation.

I too was looking for his Subaru site. I contacted him by email and he provided me with a link to the Subaru info within his Viking site. http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/subaru.htmL
He doesn't seem to want to maintain the separate Subaru site. He said he was looking for a less expensive website provider. But that was a while ago and no site. I suspect he is dumping the Subaru all together and focusing on the Viking engine. If this is true, it is most unfortunate for those of us still building and already committed to the engine installation.

The Egg Subaru site was still up and running a few weeks ago, I looked in to see what was going on and there had not been a message posted since last fall.

Since then I have had to reinstall this computers operating system and lost a lot of passwords and secret stored stuff I don't know about and can no longer get on the site. It now sends a message, send e-mail for password to get on the site.

If you need help with your Subby, consider joining
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/subenews/
The guys there are most knowledgeable in many problem areas of the engine installation.

If this is true, it is most unfortunate for those of us still building and already committed to the engine installation.

Committed is a big word.............. perhaps now you are committed to fitting a Lycoming and you just do not realise it yet. Its just a bit more work and money. :(

Viking

This is just an FYI. The owner of the first SeaRey to have a Viking engine has now had it removed and replaced with a rotax. A thrust test was performed and was said to almost equal to an 80 hp 912. Total engine package came in 30 lbs heavier than 912 set up

This is just an FYI. The owner of the first SeaRey to have a Viking engine has now had it removed and replaced with a rotax. A thrust test was performed and was said to almost equal to an 80 hp 912. Total engine package came in 30 lbs heavier than 912 set up

I'm Switzerland (neutral) or Missouri (show me) on the Viking. I'm not convinced, but I'm holding judgement for more data.

One thing I will say is that when people tout thrust measurements, they need to provide a lot of information before the thrust number tells you much.

One manufacturer could take an 0-360, gear it down, turn a big prop at low RPM and generate a huge amount of thrust that is useful in low speed applications. In fact, that's what Robinson does to power the R-22 helicopter.

Alternately, you could take the same engine, put a relatively small, high pitched prop on it, and its static thrust would be pitiful in comparison to the R-22. But that combination would make most RV's fly very well.

So unless we know the comparable prop diameters, blade count, pitch, etc., a thrust comparison may not tell us much.

thrust

Engine mounting was done at the searey factory under close supervison of Mr. Richter who developed the searey. Same prop and pitch used for the 912s (100hp) on the searey set up was tried on the Viking. The prop had to be pitched to the setting they use for the 80 horse 912 to get it to turn the proper rpms. The Plane's owner I believe is on Vikings web page and there was a utube video showing the first flight. Viking owner kept trying to tweak things to get plane owner happy with engine and prop set up. After 3 months plane owner removed Viking and is putting a rotax on. To answer the thread above Apples were being compared to Apples by the Actual Manufacturer , not just a "home builder". Again this is just an fyi. People should make their own judgements and call the Searey Factory if they want to hear it direct. just saying.

Engine mounting was done at the searey factory under close supervison of Mr. Richter who developed the searey. Same prop and pitch used for the 912s (100hp) on the searey set up was tried on the Viking. The prop had to be pitched to the setting they use for the 80 horse 912 to get it to turn the proper rpms. The Plane's owner I believe is on Vikings web page and there was a utube video showing the first flight. Viking owner kept trying to tweak things to get plane owner happy with engine and prop set up. After 3 months plane owner removed Viking and is putting a rotax on. To answer the thread above Apples were being compared to Apples by the Actual Manufacturer , not just a "home builder". Again this is just an fyi. People should make their own judgements and call the Searey Factory if they want to hear it direct. just saying.

Good info Bill. Thanks for the follow-up.

Any time mods are made to an engine, especially radical changes to intake manifolds for instance, hp and powerband may be substantially affected. We have seen this many times before on auto conversions.

Ouch. :eek:

Back