What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing painting stand

sblack

Well Known Member
Any good designs out there for a stand to hang wings (-4) to paint them? I have stumbled on to some free heavy square steel tubing. Ideally I would like to be able to rotate the wings for painting so some sort of rotisserie. No doubt this wheel has already been invented. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Put a 6’ piece of large PVC pipe through the lightening hole in the tip rib right in front of or behind the spar. It needs to go 3-4’ inboard. Rest the protruding end on a sawhorse. Put a smaller piece in the aft lightening hole. Now you have an outboard pivot point and an anti rotation device.

Rest the main spar extension on a sawhorse.

Don’t let the wing fall off of your sawhorses when you’re rotating the wing to paint top vs bottom.

Last edited:
Put a 6? piece of large PVC pipe through the lightening hole in the tip rib right in front of or behind the spar. It needs to go 3-4? inboard. Rest the protruding end on a sawhorse. Put a smaller piece in the aft lightening hole. Now you have an outboard pivot point and anti rotation device.

Don?t let the wing fall off of your sawhorses when you?re rotating the wing to paint top vs bottom.

Thinking out loud here, but you could use a piece of strapping or a conduit saddle clamp to keep it from rolling off the sawhorse. Rolling a wing off would be heartbreaking.

PVC

Put a 6? piece of large PVC pipe through the lightening hole in the tip rib right in front of or behind the spar. It needs to go 3-4? inboard. Rest the protruding end on a sawhorse. Put a smaller piece in the aft lightening hole. Now you have an outboard pivot point and anti rotation device.

Don?t let the wing fall off of your sawhorses when you?re rotating the wing to paint top vs bottom.

I did similar but 4" PVC x 10'. Slide it all the way through. Take a 2"x4"x12' and slide it through the PVC so a equal lengh sticks out each end. Set the 2x4 on saw horses. Clamp so it can't slide off. Rotate as needed.

Used 2 harbor freight engine stands. Made brackets out of wood and metal to attach to wings. Inboard, attached to spars. Outboard, sandwiched boards through ribs and attached those to the stand. The option to rotate them safely allows you to paint the other side before the first side dries. Minimizing overspray.

Control surfaces, used small dowels and sawhorses. Takes 2 people to flip, but quick and simple.

Used 2 harbor freight engine stands. Made brackets out of wood and metal to attach to wings. Inboard, attached to spars. Outboard, sandwiched boards through ribs and attached those to the stand. The option to rotate them safely allows you to paint the other side before the first side dries. Minimizing overspray.

Control surfaces, used small dowels and sawhorses. Takes 2 people to flip, but quick and simple.

How did you compensate for the angle of the uprights on the engine stands? They are not 90* off the base and are around 5* slant. I thought about cutting and re-welding but I ended up using saw horses and PVC schedule 40 pipe and flipping the wings over when I painted my RV-10. I was ably to do the flips by myself.

Ok I was going to weld up some fancy stand. Seems like was way over thinking it! Thanks!

I apologize. Looked back through pics from the painting and the wing stand was highly modified from 2 HF engine stands. They had a lower connection brace welded on also. Time makes things muddy....

Can share pics directly with anyone interested.

Back