What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AEIO-360-A1B6

nzrv8

Well Known Member
Hi,

I have bought a low time AEIO for cheap with a gaurentee that all major parts will be reusable.

My major concern is weight - I know this is a heavy engine. (Will be used on an RV-8). I will be using a light prop and the lightest accessories possible.

From the information I can find, it seems it would be quite easy to convert from an AEIO to an IO, as most the the differences are external - (inverted oil system, sump). I think the AEIO also has a solid prop flange whereas the IO is drilled to save weight.

Do you guys know of any other differences between the two?

Does anyone know the weight differences between the two crankshafts?

Has anyone done this conversion before?

An A&P friend of mine pulled two cylinders before I paid any money, and he said that the internals all look very good - no corrosion or wear. The engine sat in a hanger in a very dry climate for 15 years since last being run. It wasn't inhibited. TT 700hrs, manufactured 1974.

What would you engine gurus think would be the best approach regarding getting this engine ready for flight - Bearing in mind that money is a factor!
I have already emailed Lycoming for the current list of SB's and AD's. I am on the fence about either just stripping, inspecting, and reassembling using new gaskets/bearings - Or a full rebuild (at a much higher cost!)

Any advice appreciated, as always.

Hugh

If there was no corrosion on the cam/lifters crank/rods or cylinder bores, I would pull the accessory case and inspect the oil pump to ensure you have the correct gears (not affected by AD). Then I would reassemble the accessory case and top end with new gaskets, ovrhaul the acessories and run it.

engine

Being that old of an engine it probably has the lightning hole crank. The main weight difference is going to be in your cyl's, counterweights on the crank and sump and intake system.

Jesse

AEIO-360A1B6

The engine you have is essentially the same engine as the IO-360 A1b6 used on a later Mooney 201's or a Beech Sierra. The AE is factory converted for aerobatics. It has 2 separate magnetos, a counter weighted crankshaft (very desirable with less likely RPM restrictions depending on what prop you use but at a 6 pound weight penalty). It may or may not have a solid prop flange which may or may not be the heavy 1/2" thick flange versus 7/16" for aerobatics. The AEIO has a plug in the back of the oil screen cavity that blocks off oil coming to the screen/engine from the standard non aerobatic oil sump passage. The oil screen cavity uses a shorter screen and gets oil from a hose attached to the "cap" via the inverted system.

If you want to use it with out the inverted system (revert to the IO-360 A1B6) you remove the plug in the front of the screen housing cavity, purchase the longer oil pick up screen and install a standard "cap". You also remove the inverted oil pick up fitting and the inverted breather stand tube fitting from the bottom of the oil sump under the engine. The engine breather line goes back to standard overboard with out the "slobber pot oil separator.

Back