What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan R360 coming together....

Relentless

Well Known Member
I tried as best I could to get this in time for Osh but just couldn't do it. I have been having fun this week however seeing this come together. What you are looking at is the new light weight wet/dry oil sump and our new AX50 aluminum cold air induction sump. This thing will breath! When that intake valve opens in your new AX50 cylinder there will be plenty of cold air rushing in your new tuned carbon trumpet induction tube. I can't wait to thrash this thing on the dyno!

119s7k6.jpg

zu2slc.jpg

Carbon Trumpets
521gt3.jpg

vdzmoj.jpg

Here is new Airflow Performance AFP150 fitting nicely..
14wqgrk.jpg

Looking into the oil sump you can see the cool swiveling oil uptake tube. Always in the oil even inverted....
2n6ur84.jpg

This is looking Gooooooooddd!

Hey, since there is design weakness in the gasket joint from intake tube to head, are you addressing this to ensure that the head/cylinder motion does not degrade that seal with time? An o-ring maybe?

Thanks, great to meet you at OSH this year.

O=ring

This is looking Gooooooooddd!

Hey, since there is design weakness in the gasket joint from intake tube to head, are you addressing this to ensure that the head/cylinder motion does not degrade that seal with time? An o-ring maybe?

Thanks, great to meet you at OSH this year.

Yes, o-rings at lower end and rubber cushion mounts between sump and engine.

I'm curious how that sump works because it goes against the typical wisdom for tuning an intake...and that is to accelerate the least amount of air mass necessary to completely fill the combustion chamber. In other words moving air requires energy and if the engine is moving more air than it requires it becomes less efficient.

Traditional wisdom?

I'm curious how that sump works because it goes against the typical wisdom for tuning an intake...and that is to accelerate the least amount of air mass necessary to completely fill the combustion chamber. In other words moving air requires energy and if the engine is moving more air than it requires it becomes less efficient.

By careful management of the inlet charge, significant gains in
performance and fuel economy can be achieved. By minimizing the amount
of energy absorbed by the inlet charge while in the air-box and inlet
system keeps charge density high and increases inlet charge volume,
thereby increasing performance.
Minimizing losses into and out of the air-box-inlet system also
increases air flow efficiency and therefore engine performance. Airbox
tuning effects can enhance performance. The air-box is only part of the
system equation and needs to be designed along with other areas of the
engine.

Engine performance can be broken down to four areas, some interact with
each other to some degree.
Air Flow.
Combustion.
Inlet Charge characteristics (air-box dynamics)
Mechanical and frictional losses

An increase in volumetric efficiency is required to increase performance
High airflow is fundamental to engine performance and is controlled by
two complimentary features
Port design
Cam profile
Our company port design experience and it's CFD capability gives designs
with high flow and low port losses.
With our optimized cam profiles which give an increase in valve flow
area to compliment high flow ports

Additionaly, air-box design and thermal characteristics of the inlet
system are important to maintain high charge density and the optimum
feed pressure above the inlet manifold.
It is important to optimize the port design to ensure tumble velocity
vectors in the combustion chamber are not compromised

With an increase in airflow tumble in the combustion chamber we can
improve the mixture stability and this will improve the engine's knock
resistance.
Port, combustion chamber and cam profile are considered as one optimized
system and cannot be separated.
When I designed the components for the AX50 series engines, these were
all considered as one and not as separate issues.

A large volume of high density air is best, along with optimized intake
and ports.
As a brief comparison, a standard engine has about 85% VE, however our
racing engines produce well over 114% VE, you can never not have enough
air:)

What kind of bump in HP are you guys seeing with this intake system?

Cold air is a misnomer when it comes to stock intakes...I was told by someone who has measured it its less than 1 degree going thru the stock sump. The air simply is not in the intake long enough to pick up any heat.

You'll note that the carbon runners are tapered and have bells inside the plenum. This serves to keep the airflow smooth and accelerate the flow at the port. In my view this is ideal and identical to what I was building for high output engines 20-25 years ago. The results on the dyno confirmed the flow bench numbers.

The whole thing looks awesome. I get how the intake runners work like velocity stacks but the huge plenum just seems counterintuitive to me.

The whole thing looks awesome. I get how the intake runners work like velocity stacks but the huge plenum just seems counterintuitive to me.

Big plenums are extensively used in many types of racing where inlet restrictor rules apply. Smooths out flow through the TB as each cylinder fills. Would be no drawback I can see on a constant power application like an aircraft. Big plenums are usually good for everything except throttle response but that's not an important consideration here.

Back