Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-03-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

And if I'm not mistaking, most of the "soft gooey sealant" issues that have cropped up over the years on builders tanks that were blamed on the blue dye, were determined to be sealed with flamemaster.
I have not seen indication of that.
I am personally aware of it occurring with both products at least a couple of times.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-03-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I think its obvious, but Just because a product "meets the spec" does not necessarily mean they are all created equal. In my past life working on and around the big birds the only thing I ever recall seeing/using was PRC.

And if I'm not mistaking, most of the "soft gooey sealant" issues that have cropped up over the years on builders tanks that were blamed on the blue dye, were determined to be sealed with flamemaster.

And yes, I choose products based on past performance, familiarity and history, ones that I know work. I do not choose products based on the lowest cost, I have found that you generally get what you pay for.
The challenge is knowing how many tanks were sealed with Flamemaster products versus others. I'd guess a huge percentage of the tanks on Van's designs were sealed with Flamemaster, because it is less expensive and easy to buy through Van's. If there have been a handful of failures with Flamemaster and any at all with other products, that doesn't point to a problem specific to Flamemaster.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:58 PM

Default Soft gooey vs. firm

Some blue dye and a flammable smell revealed 3 small leaks on a 23 y/o RV-3 I bought in 2015. Locations are fuel sender terminal, bolt on fuel sender plate and fuel line fitting to tank. I pulled everything off and noticed a difference in the way some areas "cut" with the utility knife. Some areas cut some and clean and some "mushed" out of the way. The leaky areas were the later.

So, now I need to rebuild the whole enchilada as we say in SOCAL. Is it possible these are two different sealants? And how the Heck do I pull the plate with the fuel pickup line? That baby won't budge.

RV-3 restored - learning to land
Stearman - building - near 1st flight
L3 converting/building ribs
Helio Courier constructing
C-170A my trainer - sold
Kitchen - remodeling/done