Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Delta Hawk

So, any of you who went to Osh stop in at Delta Hawk-----assuming they had a booth.

I found this looking for their site just now.

Any info about their FWF packages????

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Hmmm looks like they have come to their senses but why not do just one airframe at a time (like 7/7A first)? Spreading things thin isn't the way to ensure survival in these times.

I may have warp drive engines on my RV10 before these DH engines are actually available. They should have made this move years ago.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 422.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM

Default Delta Hawk

When I went by their booth at Oshkosh on Friday there was nary any traffic stopping to look at their engine. Everybody who knew just walked on by.
I see they are now marketing FF engine kits for RV-10s as well as others.
200 hp in a RV-10....I don't think so. It's really kind of a shame. If they actually could deliver a good product they would have plenty of customers including me. They should have entered the experimental market first and then tried to certify their engines as Ross seems to have alluded to.

We did happen to stumble on the Eggenfellner booth. My son-in-law was quite taken by the display as it showed off some visually actractive engine/psru FF packages. I told him to keep walking and I'd explain later.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDanno View Post
They should have entered the experimental market first and then tried to certify their engines as Ross seems to have alluded to.
Yes, that's what I'm saying and I never understand why so many companies want to try to certify first and forget about the huge experimental market. (Mistral, Toyota, Honda, Orenda, Rotax V6). You can generate cash flow, get plenty of hours on, have time to work minor bugs out, establish the name and reputation at lower cost, save millions in certification costs and limit liability initially. Once you get 50,000+ hours on in the experimental market, just think how much more smoothly and quickly certification will go. They might not run out of money for certification with money coming in the back door either. What a concept.

Interesting, your comment about traffic past the DH booth- seems like the never delivery syndrome that Zoche developed a decade ago has pervaded DH now too. That is a shame but reflects a poor decision making process within the company. Both of these engines should have been widely flying years ago.

Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 422.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 08-06-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 AM

$62,000.00+ for a 200hp FWF, not including prop or cowl, does not help their cause either.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Unhappy Delta Hawk rule out

I did not make OSH but one of our chapter members who did also reported at Tuesday nights meeting that the price had climbed to $60+. I lost interest at the $48k estimate during Sun & Fun, but wish them well.:
Solomon9A
Finish Kit, Newport News
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM

That price is crazy. You can by a decade worth of fuel for your $20K Lycoming with the other $40K left over.

Only the military and a few civilians with very deep pockets are going to pay that kind of money. IMO they don't have a prayer.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Yes, it is a FAR cry from their original estimates of around $25k for a 160hp model. It will rule them out for the majority of buyers.

A pity - really looks nice.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:43 PM

Where does the $62+ figure come from? I couldn't find it on their website, was it quoted at Oshkosh?
N184EW
Past President, EAA838 Racine, WI
Old 08-07-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwolf View Post
Where does the $62+ figure come from? I couldn't find it on their website, was it quoted at Oshkosh?
If you click through the firewall forward kit section far enough you get to a pricing comparison. According to them it's cheaper than a Lycoming. Crazy.

http://www.deltahawkengines.com/Firewall%20prices.shtml