What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Map Box... or not

YoVuelo

I am working on Section 35 and am not planning on installing a map box. Would it be wise to just cover the hole in the sub panel with a blank panel so that area would be available for mounting other avionics, etc? I just want to make sure I'm not missing some other good reason there is a nicely framed hole placed here...

No map box planned. I like having access through the sub panel hole. If I mount avionics there will probably just make a bracket and add some nut plates to hold it. That way will still have the hole for future access if needed.

I did as you are proposing - put a plate over the hole allowing more surface for mounting avionics.

Plate over the hole and mounted avionics boxes. Some people have made bracketing that holds the boxes through the hole horizontally as well. Unless you are going to cut the map box hole in the front panel, don't rivet in that lip now at the very least.

I've got a non-RV and have owned it for decades. It has a glove box in the panel, and that's a very handy place for small storage. I won't say that I couldn't fly without it, but it would be harder.

It's held in with two #8 screws per side, accessible from the panel. The box comes out by dropping down under the panel, giving the sort of access we all like to have.

In my opinion, it would be a mistake to leave the glove box out if you have the option of installing one.

Dave

I've got a non-RV and have owned it for decades. It has a glove box in the panel, and that's a very handy place for small storage. I won't say that I couldn't fly without it, but it would be harder.

It's held in with two #8 screws per side, accessible from the panel. The box comes out by dropping down under the panel, giving the sort of access we all like to have.

In my opinion, it would be a mistake to leave the glove box out if you have the option of installing one.

Dave

I agree. You won't be putting a map in there, but it is a great place for batteries, pens, sump tester, sun shade, CD's, O2 Pulse meter, adapter and charging cords, etc., etc., etc.. If you have no current plan for the space, why not have a map box? You can remove it later if you need panel space.

I custom built a glove box since I had aluminum sheet left over from an OOPs during construction. I don't miss the panel space and that box is soooo handy. Wondered about that during construction. Glad I built it. IE. Sump tool, batteries for headsets, oximeter, barf bag, Sunglass cleaner, POH for anybody that cares and wants to dig for it, etc.

EDIT. Added pic from construction log

13726072914cbb0f54d3cdd.jpg

Last edited:
I had a map box in my RV-8A and for all the reasons others have mentioned I loved it and don't know where I would have put all that stuff. I also had a side pocket compartment, but didn't like putting small stuff in it (pens, chapstick, sump tester, batteries, survival knife, etc) because it was harder to rummage through to find what I wanted (whatever I wanted was inevitably at the very bottom). I found the map box easier to access stuff.

My -14 will definitely have a map box, although it won't line up perfectly with the existing hole Vans punched in the sub-panel, so I'll decide what to do with that space when I get to that point.

glove box is very handy, you never have enough space to put everything.

I made mine removable to better access the breakers and wiring

2b445s.jpg

Last edited:
I like having the glove box. However we downsized the box, very easy to do and it does keep a lot of stuff handy. Also did not rivet the box to panel, used #6 screws 2 on each side and 1 on the bottom
oEc.jpg

Back