What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight Question

Bootscooter

Hi All

This one is for those that have gone before me.

The first flight of my RV14 is not far off, and I just wanted to get an idea of what I can expect regarding handling quality.

I notice that a lot of RV14’s have a permanent trim tab on the Right hand bottom side of the rudder, on the opposite side to my RV7 which would indicate the left rudder is generally required. Is this the case for all RV14’s?? Is there any other handling qualities that could be expected?

I know there will be variations from build to build but this one is pretty much a Cookie cutter build as per the plans with IO-390 and hartzell BA.

Rgs Chad
so4fvs.jpg

Last edited:
My 14A required a rudder trim tab on the left side (equivalent of right rudder input). I flew off the entire Phase 1 before adding the rudder tab so it?s not a handling issue. I had 300+hours in an RV6A before the 14, no model-specific transition training, and first flight was a breeze. I found the 14 much easier to land with more stable but equally responsive handling in all conditions.

Enjoy that first flight day!

Rudder Trim

My 14A also required the fitment of a small rudder trim on the right hand side. The balance ball was just touching the right hand edge of the balance line in cruise. Not a big deal, it was out just a fraction. Fixed now.

It is will be interesting to see if this is a continuing trend amongst 14's.

Others out there give us your feed back. If this becomes the norm amongst 14's then builders following will have an opportunity to include the trim in their build and wont have to worry about painting the rudder again.

My 14A also required the fitment of a small rudder trim on the right hand side. The balance ball was just touching the right hand edge of the balance line in cruise. Not a big deal, it was out just a fraction. Fixed now.

Are you talking about a tab or a wedge on your rudder? I believe if you put a wedge on the right side of the rudder trailing edge, it will provide nose left trim moment. You would have needed the opposite if the ball was touching the right edge of the line (you 'step on the ball' to center it, so you would have needed nose right trim).

FWIW, most other RV models I've looked at tend to need nose right rudder trim. On the -14, the forward mounting bolt for the vertical stab is offset a bit to the left, which will provide nose right trim (presumably with the intention of eliminating any need for a trim tab in cruise). It appears maybe a bit too much nose right trim, because the three RV-14's that I've seen with trim tabs (including Van's demo bird) have tabs providing nose left trim.

Are you talking about a tab or a wedge on your rudder? I believe if you put a wedge on the right side of the rudder trailing edge, it will provide nose left trim moment. You would have needed the opposite if the ball was touching the right edge of the line (you 'step on the ball' to center it, so you would have needed nose right trim).

FWIW, most other RV models I've looked at tend to need nose right rudder trim. On the -14, the forward mounting bolt for the vertical stab is offset a bit to the left, which will provide nose right trim (presumably with the intention of eliminating any need for a trim tab in cruise). It appears maybe a bit too much nose right trim, because the three RV-14's that I've seen with trim tabs (including Van's demo bird) have tabs providing nose left trim.

I am talking about the wedge, as I too have noticed all the RV14's (incl Van’s demo) with the wedge on the bottom RHS of the rudder. I primarily wanted to know for what to expect inflight, but it does seem odd that if a wedge is needed at all, it happens to be on the RHS.

Last edited:
I've had no need for a wedge for trim on the rudder on my 14A.

160 hours and she flies with the ball centered in cruise. The offset of the VS seems to be just right on mine.

Back