What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14A inboard wing ribs

Dennis Harm

Due to not paying attention to directions I dimpled the top flanges of the inboard ribs that attach to the wing walk doublets. These rib holes are counter sunk on the top inboard wing skins. Should I flatten the dimples out or leave as is, thanks Dennis

Due to not paying attention to directions I dimpled the top flanges of the inboard ribs that attach to the wing walk doublets. These rib holes are counter sunk on the top inboard wing skins. Should I flatten the dimples out or leave as is, thanks Dennis

Assuming you did not machine countersink the skins, I recommend you dimple the wing skin, the doubler and the wing ribs. Not only is this much easier to do, I believe it is a stronger joint. The rivets come out perfect on the top skin so there is no downside. You will need to use a longer rivet then Van?s calls for in the plans - but there are many places where this happens.

If you already countersunk the skins then yes, use your squeezer to flatten out the rib dimples.

Carl

I agree with Carl. I did as the plans directed, i.e. making a shallow countersink so that the rivets stick up slightly on the wingskin on the inboard-most 4 ribs. If I were to do it over again I would have dimpled the skin and countersunk the doubler plates. Since you already dimpled the ribs I would simply dimple the doubler plates and skin as well. In the end I don't think you will be able to tell any difference from the appearance.

I got my wings secondhand and the countersinking & riveting in the wingwalks area looked pretty bad. I ordered new upper inboard skins and wingwalks doublers and dimpled the ribs, doublers, and skins. Looks beautiful now (BTW this is also how I did my RV-8 wingwalks almost 20 years ago). I don't understand why Vans tells you to countersink this area...It's harder to get good results and as Carl mentioned results in a weaker joint compared to dimpling. I also highly recommend dimpling the aft baffle -to- tank skin rivets...I've previously posted about that area.

Back