What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Instruction in an RV

DrDrift

I requested an insurance quote for an RV-3, and I received a response saying that I would need 10 hours of instruction in a two-seat RV before I could get a quote. This brings about a few questions:

1 - How do I find a willing CFI and RV? I'm in the Central Florida area. Is this post the right way to ask around, or is there a better sub-forum?

2 - Is 10 hours a reasonable request? I'm in the process of submitting quotes to other insurance companies based on some past responses here. For other people flying a single-seat RV-3, what process did you have to go through before being insured?

3 - What's a reasonable rate for an hour of instruction in an RV-3? FBOs rent Cessna 172s and Piper Warriors for $100 to $150 per hour - would an RV-4/6/7/8/9/14 be about the same?

4 - Apart from the insurance aspect, how much time is really required to be comfortable enough to fly solo in a -3? I realize this is a silly and pilot-dependent question. I have my tailwheel endorsement and have flown Citabrias and Decathlons.

Last edited:
A 2-seat RV-3 doesn't exist. However, the RV-4 is as close as it gets to that. You would have to find someone willing to instruct you in their RV-4, which would need to have rear controls, rudder pedals and brakes most likely. Perhaps you should tell your insurance agent that there's no such thing as a 2-seat RV-3 and ask for "a few" acceptable planes for you to get your 10 hours in. Perhaps they will agree to allow you to get training in a plane that's a bit easier to get trained in... Good luck.

There have been many whom crossed this path, and I know several personally, that talked with the insurance company about the RV series similarities, and were able to get dual in a 2 seat variant RV, either side-by-side or tandem.Obviously, if the company you are dealing with requires a 2 seat RV3, they aren't familiar with RV's. I'm sure there will be several helpful replies to this. Since you have T/W time already, an A model may even be acceptable. If you haven't flown an RV yet, you will find the agile handling and speed range will be the most significant things to get used to. I had 350 hrs. in my BC-12, then an hour or so with a friend in his -6. I felt comfortable enough to make my maiden flight in my -4 after that. The RV's are very predictable T/W planes with no ugly quirks...just fast!

Methinks you need to reconsider your insurance company.

Gallager and SkySmith are both RV knowledgeable.

Contact Gallagher Insurance...

Jenny at Gallagher is great and they know the RV line intimately...

Jenny Brower
Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
595 Bell Avenue I Chesterfield MO I 63005
Direct: 877-648-8267| Mobile: 636-357-7232 I Fax: 636-532-3646
www.ajg.com/lightaircraft | www.ajg.com

My experience, although mine was an -7 so I didn't have the single seat issue.

1- I just searched Google for RV transition training and found an RV-6 in Iowa, I was in Eastern South Dakota at the time so not too far for him to fly.

2- My insurance only required 2 hrs in any RV, I had ~250 hrs TT 180 of which was tailwheel.

3- RVs with the required FAA approvals for training are pretty rare so supply and demand says they'll be more expensive. If I recall correctly, I paid $125/hr travel time and $175/ hr training; at the time the local 172 rented for $85.

4- I did 10 or so T&Gs in my Stinson the day before my transition training, I think this helped me feel comfortable faster in the RV just having my flying skills sharp; so if you have access to the citabria or decathalon I would suggest doing the same. I was mostly comfortable by 2 hrs but just spent the extra hour for extra safety and lets face it, flying the RV was way more fun than my Stinson :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Another plug for Gallagher but Jenny is no longer devoted to RVs.

Gallagher required 1 hour of transition training in a -6A, -7A or 9A when I was quoted for my -7A.

3- RVs with the required FAA approvals for training are pretty rare so supply and demand says they'll be more expensive.

Good luck!

As the above post notes, it is contrary to the FARs to rent out an RV. However, it is not that hard to get a waiver (?LODA? in faa-speak) for transition training. A bigger obstacle will be money, if the owner carries insurance covering instruction-given.

You need to negotiate with your insurance company, as pointed out above.

Mine required three hours of dual in an RV-9. At the time, I could only find three or four other RV-9's, so that wasn't going to happen. After talking with them, they agreed to three hours of dual in any side-by-side RV.

You really don't want to have dual in a tandem RV because they rudder pedals, if installed, really aren't that good.

You need to negotiate with your insurance company, as pointed out above.
<SNIP>
You really don't want to have dual in a tandem RV because they rudder pedals, if installed, really aren't that good.

True... except for the RV-8 Bruce Bohannon uses for transition training which also includes rear brakes.
=======================================
Mujahid,

Bruce Bohannon is approved by Gallagher Insurance (Jenny) for -3,-4, and -8 transition training (LODA) and depending upon your demonstrated skill level, Bruce will sign you off when you're ready. Some have received a sign-off in as little as 4-hours, others need more. Transition training is in an RV-8 but Bruce sometimes integrates flights in his Legend Cub which also flys from the front seat. If you visit Bruce's school, there's also a good possibility a -3B will be in the hangar for your critique. Quality transition training is priceless and Bruce will treat you right.

Here are a few testimonials from the VAF Forums.

HERE
HERE
HERE
HERE

Last edited:
Jan Bussell

Another vote for Jan Bussell. If you are in Central Florida it's a no-brainer.

When I bought my -4, my insurance company only required a checkout by Jan - no hours specified. They specified him by name at my request. I spent two days with him for a total of about 5 hours and lots of landings. He also did my tailwheel training / endorsement since I didn't have any taildragger time.

Like the others, I agree you need a different insurance company. Call Jenny.

Thanks!

Thank you all for your responses.

First, apologies for the typo. I wrote "two-seat RV-3" when I meant to write "any two-seat RV". Of course there isn't a two-seat single-seater, and thanks for gently pointing that out.

Here is the exact response from the insurance company:

Please take note of the 10 hours of dual to include 25 takeoffs and landings prior to single pilot operations. This must be completed in a Vans tailwheel aircraft with two seats. The Company will need to approve the CFI as well.

So they don't care about what model (tandem or side-by-side), but it has to be a tailwheel RV.

Thanks for suggesting Jenny Gallagher. I'll check with her for the insurance requirements. Once I know how many hours are required, I can contact Jan per the suggestions.

Back