- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 10:47 AM

Default The Terrible and Horrible Universal Law of Irony

Well boys and girls, it's your worst fear.

I did my due diligence before starting my build with a ongoing medical issue and had a special issuance for 6 years while I built the 9A of my dreams. It has the absolute best of everything, airworthiness certified and is ready for it's first flight.

Then I had a new medical issue last January, not life threatening, but they pulled my special issuance and won't give it back, despite every effort on my part including all you those you know, up to and including an NTSB hearing request which was denied. I am working through the denial, anger, bargaining, depression and pretty much into the acceptance phase.

I can fly the airplane with someone else acting as PIC, but that is not a long term solution and certainly not the situation I dreamed of for so many years. I don't want to try fly my 40 hours in this setting.

So I have a new airplane, painted, state of the art panel and interior that I have to sell. I simply don't have any experience in selling an RV or any airplane, particularly in this situation.

I am looking for any and all advice in doing this. Sympathy appreciated but not required.

Jeff in Portland
Old 12-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Jeff,

That sucks. My condolences. That's really all I can offer.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 12-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Here's some advice that may be worth what you paid for it...

In my opinion, a plane that's ready to go is worth more than one that's never flown. I've heard that some planes could be ferried to their new home after five flight hours, so do that as a minimum. Out of phase 1 with a full set of flight test data -- not just hours flown off -- is worth something, but that will cost $1,500 of gas, more or less.

Also, the more documentation you can provide with the plane -- component list, serial numbers, manuals, wiring diagrams -- that will reduce risk to the buyer.

Places to advertise are on this web site, and others. Spring is typically a good time to sell, winter not so much, so you've got time to get your selling act together.

Take good pictures -- great lighting, all the details shown. You want to communicate that the plane is gorgeous, well equipped, and well built. Make sure your pictures cover all three of those objectives. Take shots of the panel, interior, firewall forward, and workmanship detail.

Get several people to inspect the plane and provide written opinions that you can use. Make sure that they're objective -- a whitewash will be counterproductive.

Lastly, and this is painful advice, consider how long you are prepared to wait for a buyer. I once looked at a car and told the seller he had to choose between having a $28,000 car in his driveway or $24,000 in his bank account.

Hope this helps, and that your post-RV life is filled with great people and things to do.

Ed
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."

Last edited by rv7boy : 12-29-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: reference to non-paying advertiser
Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 AM

Dang Jeff---words cant express what we all feel. Keep fighting--you never know. But--if you must sell it, some one will be getting a great plane.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 12-16-2017, 09:02 AM

Default maybe don't give up

I might open a can of worms by discussing male psychology, but here goes.
Rather than give up on flying your dream, maybe consider finding a suitable flying partner to stay in the game. We all seem to have that "PIC" mentality and it is understandable. I think with some effort and "re-training" your normal thought process, you might come to be able to adjust to not flying alone. The candidate could be young or old. Male or female. Significant other or not.
Even financing some lessons to complete a private rating could be considered. You seem to have the health needed to do the actual flying (if I am wrong, I will not expect medical privacy to be violated on a forum). Your co-pilot can sit right seat from the beginning, as I can't recall any regulation preventing it.
Think about the thousands of professional pilots who board planes each day and never think twice about it being a crew. Anyway, I thought I would just offer encouragement to think about alternatives. Best.

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes.Helicopter rated, balloon instructor, seaplanes and for grins, Phantom Drone pilot. Instructor for air medical and law enforcement tactical radio systems. Fly my RV9A to work every week. Janitor when and as needed.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:28 AM

If you were lucky enough find a flight instructor that is also a medical examiner he might become a great help with the FAA.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:52 AM

I've always wondered just what the percentage of GA pilots there are that have no license, after all, there's not that much the feds can do but revoke your license. There's no doubt that flying in the more rural parts of the country one would never encounter a fed. Even flying in SoCal for 40 years I've only been ramped once and I refused to show him anything. Just food for thought.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 AM

Hi Jeff,

Youíre not alone. I know of a few guys, still airplane owners, flying with friends and at the airport several days a week. Itís in their blood.

Have we met? EAA? CAA? OPA? Many great friends through these organizations like VAF, but more face to face.

Where are you based? Let me know if I or a friend can help.

Bruce,
Rv998hg@gmail.com
Old 12-16-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
I've always wondered just what the percentage of GA pilots there are that have no license, after all, there's not that much the feds can do but revoke your license. There's no doubt that flying in the more rural parts of the country one would never encounter a fed. Even flying in SoCal for 40 years I've only been ramped once and I refused to show him anything. Just food for thought.
Actually, you would be wrong on both counts.

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...-230053-1.html

Now, having said that, every man must weigh the consequences against the action, and pick their own path. If you don't screw up, you likely won't get caught.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Regardless of the facts, it's not a good idea to "promote" illegal activities on this forum. I know you guys don't think you are promoting these activities, but by just making these statements, some people are encouraged to do so.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor