What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 detail 5

1. remove gel coat from cowling, one to two inches away from the faring

2. use a stiff mixture or flox and epoxy to build up the area around faring

3. One layer of glass cloth over the flox mix

4. peel ply

When dry sand smooth and apply thin layer of micro to fill gaps, depressions etc.
Micro is pretty tough but it is not structural and can crack if it is too thick.

This is a small job that cleans up the upper farings much the same as the plans call for on the lower gear faring/wheel pant intersection.

There are probably a million ways to do this small job but it is a nice finishing touch. On my rocket I extended it aft over the metal of the forward fuselage.
On the RV14 the faring tucks back under the fuselage and there was no real benefit from a drag perspective to continue the build up onto the metal.

NOTE; this job is really easy if you do it after the upper faring are completely finished and the screws in place on the cowling. Take cowling off aircraft, turn it upside down and then screw the faring in place using the three common screw holes. This makes sanding really easy and keeps the sand paper away from the metal bits.

Tom,
I tried to see the picture you posted on this, but it appears the link has expired. Could you post it again?
Thanks,
Craig

Back