What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motion Sickness Dilemma

Jrskygod

Well Known Member
A friend wants to go on a trip in my RV9 but suffers from motion sickness. Anybody have a solution other than a barf bag?

Ginger pills

My wife doesn't fly with me much, but when she does she usually takes ginger pills. She needs them on Dash8 turboprops to. RJs are ok. After taking ginger she is usually still sensitive but it helps somewhat. Tried the electric wrist band too. That helps up to an hour and a half or so.

Dramamine pills or patches work for some. My wife uses pressure point wrist bands and they work for her.

Unfortunately there's also the possibility nothing will work. You can help by picking the smoothest flying conditions possible, stay smooth on the controls and keep pitch and bank angles as gentle as possible. It can also help to give them jobs to do in order to keep them focused on something.

When our son was young he was extremely sensitive to motion sickness... When we'd get to Gramma's he would run up to her, give her a big hug and say, "guess what Gramma, I woofed twice on the way down... what's for lunch...

We got him one of these, and the symptoms went away. Don't know if it was physiological, or psychological, but it worked for him... YMMV...

http://www.relief-band-watch.com

I have a friend who swears by the electric wrist band gizmo (I forget the brand name).
Edit: previous post has name.

Another thing to try, if you are comfortable doing so: let him fly. I know of several people who get motion sick, in cars or airplanes, when they are passengers; but never when they are the driver or pilot.

Meclezine

OTC... non drowsy. Kills motion sickness in it's tracks. My wife uses it for bumpy days. For any drug like this... it needs to be taken in advance. Not after the symptoms appear. The pharmacist may have it behind the counter, rather than on the shelf. My flying partner who is a plastic surgeon is the first one that had my wife try it. It has made a huge difference in her enthusiasm to fly.
For the demo pilot though... no enthusiasm needed. Just fly very very gently. Save the tricks for TV.

Zofran works wonders for most everyone, but the scopolamine patch is likely more available. They used to make scopolamine tablets (Scopace) which were even better than the patch, but the volumes were not big enough and Big Pharma thus stopped making it.
We tried all the above for my Spousal Unit. Now - magically - after flying with me for 4 yrs plus, she needs no medication at all! She has essentially no air sickness now at all ... after 50+ yrs of getting ill just looking at moving objects.
The electronic wrist thingy was an abysmal failure. She turned green and about fainted within 15 minutes of flying with it.

+1 for the relief band.
It was a life saver for my wife years ago. She couldn't fly without it. Over time, her symptoms subsided and now she doesn't need to wear it at all. I was skeptical at first, but it worked and was money well spent!

Bob Hoover did it.

Another thing to try, if you are comfortable doing so: let him fly. I know of several people who get motion sick, in cars or airplanes, when they are passengers; but never when they are the driver or pilot.

What Bob says. Cool morning air and avoid bumps. Even Bob Hoover had to overcome motion sickness. Not a big deal. If they think they will enjoy flying, then they most likely will given the right intro.

Before your long trip, try a few early morning 15 minutes (or less) flights in dead still air. Bring them back with a smile on a few short rides and carry on from there.

Good Luck

Everyone is different.

Flying doesn't bother Ann but when we go on a cruise, she takes Bonine.
OTC. She's tried the wrist bands, patches and everything in between. Only the Bonine works for her. You do have to take it beforehand. After is too late.

Zofran works wonders for most everyone, but the scopolamine patch is likely more available. They used to make scopolamine tablets (Scopace) which were even better than the patch, but the volumes were not big enough and Big Pharma thus stopped making it.
We tried all the above for my Spousal Unit. Now - magically - after flying with me for 4 yrs plus, she needs no medication at all! She has essentially no air sickness now at all ... after 50+ yrs of getting ill just looking at moving objects.
The electronic wrist thingy was an abysmal failure. She turned green and about fainted within 15 minutes of flying with it.

Scopolamine patch is the most consistently effective remedy I'm aware of. Needs to be in place well before the flight - ideally the night before.

Motion Sickness

Ted

The best thing ever made for motion sickness is called : Cinarizin.

It is an OTC purchase and I don't know if it is available in the US, I normally buy without a prescription in London UK.

It is like Gravol but without the side effect of gravol like drowsiness etc..

Believe me, if it works for my wife ''The motion sickness champion of the world'',she gets sick riding a bike or looking at a picture of a boat.. it will work for your friend.

If you have friends in the Airline business, they could buy it for you..Customs don't have a problem with it.

It cost $2.90 Bps ( About $4.00 USD )for a box of 15.

I could send you a picture of the box if you send me an e-mail.

Best of luck

Bruno
[email protected]

I agree with Mel.
Bonine works for my wife.
#3 - Same here. When it's been a while since she flew last, she will take it before flight. By the end of the flying season she's acclimated and it doesn't bother her so much.

Offering the passenger the stick so they can fly does work well, but only if they're comfortable with the idea of flying. My wife isn't, so letting her fly just makes any impending sick feeling worse because she starts worrying she's doing it wrong.

Smooth flying and a good distraction always helps- I used to fly scenic tours in a Beaver, I had lots of passengers who were scared of flying, prone to motion sickness, etc. One poor lady couldn't even stand on the dock without feeling sick! A smooth roll into a 45 degree bank turn to look at whales and they forgot all about feeling sick. I think I had one puker on a tour in 5 years!

Alex

As others have said any of the motion sickness drugs can help. I get motion sickness myself when doing aerobatics. I will tell you "Fazio's" method. Some may laugh, but what I do, if I know I'm going to do aerobatics is, take Dramamine 1 hour before the flight. Then one chocolate brownie right before the flight, and one brownie after the flight. The sweetness and something in your belly helps a lot. I've had passengers try it and they agree. I recently flew with Sean Tucker, and was worried I would get sick. Did the brownie method and made it through the flight in his Extra, no problem. I started feeling it a little after inverted flight. Try it out, if you land and feel a little green, one brownie will fix you up.

+1 Dramamine

Yep if I have a passenger that has an inkling of motion sickness. I try to get them to take Dramamine an hour before we go, so it has time to get in their system and start working. The patches are for long term use such as a sea crus and will not be cost effective for aircraft use. We still keep bags at the ready as I have had people get sick anyway no matter what they take or wear.
If you see they are getting pail, try to get them to look at things out in the distance, talk to them about something like look at that way out there and try to keep their mind occupied on anything but their problem. The inner ear will be much more stable if they keep the head up and concentrate on something far away. But its not a bad idea to put the bag in their hand while they are looking away. Yep it happens even to the old sea captain from time to time.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

This is true with my wife also, there is a link between visual, inner ear and physical that must all link up together or some that are sensitive to this condition will get ill, my wife cant even look down at here phone while I am driving :rolleyes:

Ted, this is exactly what I would recommend. I actually suffer from motion sickness but obviously have no issues flying. When I fly with someone else I do everything I can not to get sick but when I have the stick it doesn't even cross my mind. The only time that I've "made myself sick" is when I try to do aerobatics. I've been trying to "build up" my tolerance but it's a slow progress :confused:.

Give him the stick and let him fly. You may create a new pilot friend :D

When I was a kid, flying with my Dad on a turbulent day, he would let me fly if I got queasy. Worked like a charm. I have not had to apply it as PIC to any passengers yet.

I am always concerned when I see a thread recommending use of medications and cures in general, but much more so, when it involves flying or piloting a plane.
In prescribing a medication (which is what you are doing when you suggest someone use it for a set purpose) you need to take into account the persons age, sex, underlying medical conditions, and the effects it may have on any other medications they are taking.
Bear in mind when you tell someone that ?I take drug XYZ for that problem and it works wonders? your listener considers you, as a user, somewhat of an expert.
Pretty much all medications that have a beneficial effect on motion sickness and vertigo have a similar side effect profile.

Many have dire consequences for those with mild to severe heart disease, pregnant or about to be pregnant women, elderly, folks with urinary or gastrointestinal tract problems. Not everyone who has heart disease know they have it and use of these medications may cause the first symptom which is occasionally sudden cardiac death. Not all women early in a pregnancy know they are pregnant.

All of them will also have some mild to severe negative impact on multiple commonly prescribed medications.

Of all those listed above Cinnarizine is the most worrisome as it can on occasion cause Parkinson syndrome, often years after its use.
Most all will cause some degree of difficuly urinating especially in men over 40.

Most all will cause some degree of short term mental confusion, dry mouth, rapid heart rate, and decreased reflexes as well as occasional severe mood swings.

Most side effects, as well as benefits, are dose dependent. Not enough it will not work. Too much and side effect occur and worsen.
Zofran has a significant effect on the hearts electrical activity and can, given, age other meds and underlying disease cause cardiac arrest.

Almost all can cause rapid heart rate often life threatening.

In almost 30 years of practice I have seen several heart attacks and strokes caused by someone taking a medication recommended by a friend or acquaintance.
Keep in mind if you give someone your ?prescription? anti whatever med and they drop dead as a result you are responsible.

Of the above mentioned remedies the only ones I suspect present no danger are chocolate, and the wrist bands. The chocolate probably works due to the caffeine in it.

In the off shore boating world, I would recommend that the sick person grab a life jacket and jump in the water and float, motion-sea sickness would go away,............however, I don't think this idea would work very well in the flying world :rolleyes:

Another tidbit .... before Kris miraculously "got over" her motiion sickness, we tried about every so-called remedy there was. Acknowledging Milt's notes above, we found that only scopolamine helped her. After the US pharma outfits stopped making Scopace (the tablet version of scopolamine), we discovered that scopolamine is available in small doses in many countries over the counter. In Mexico, you can buy it under the name Brupacil (or close to that) and in the UK and Australia, it's called Kwells. Better yet, it's cheap!

A bit off topic I suppose, but this thread reminds me of a troop ship trip, 1956, out in the middle of the Atlantic during a tropical storm. I was for some reason not bothered by it, so they put me in charge of handing out motion sickness pills, dramamine if I recall correctly. When the sickies number in the thousands, a ship don't smell too good.

Motion Sickness

Milt

''Of all those listed above Cinnarizine is the most worrisome as it can on occasion cause Parkinson syndrome, often years after its use.''

---------------
Even tough the above medication was prescribed by a doctor on a cruise ship, I wasn't aware of this potential side effet nor was it mentioned so it worth checking this out

Thanks

Bruno

I am always concerned when I see a thread recommending use of medications and cures in general, but much more so, when it involves flying or piloting a plane.
In prescribing a medication (which is what you are doing when you suggest someone use it for a set purpose) you need to take into account the persons age, sex, underlying medical conditions, and the effects it may have on any other medications they are taking.
Bear in mind when you tell someone that ?I take drug XYZ for that problem and it works wonders? your listener considers you, as a user, somewhat of an expert.
Pretty much all medications that have a beneficial effect on motion sickness and vertigo have a similar side effect profile.

Many have dire consequences for those with mild to severe heart disease, pregnant or about to be pregnant women, elderly, folks with urinary or gastrointestinal tract problems. Not everyone who has heart disease know they have it and use of these medications may cause the first symptom which is occasionally sudden cardiac death. Not all women early in a pregnancy know they are pregnant.

All of them will also have some mild to severe negative impact on multiple commonly prescribed medications.

Of all those listed above Cinnarizine is the most worrisome as it can on occasion cause Parkinson syndrome, often years after its use.
Most all will cause some degree of difficuly urinating especially in men over 40.

Most all will cause some degree of short term mental confusion, dry mouth, rapid heart rate, and decreased reflexes as well as occasional severe mood swings.

Most side effects, as well as benefits, are dose dependent. Not enough it will not work. Too much and side effect occur and worsen.
Zofran has a significant effect on the hearts electrical activity and can, given, age other meds and underlying disease cause cardiac arrest.

Almost all can cause rapid heart rate often life threatening.

In almost 30 years of practice I have seen several heart attacks and strokes caused by someone taking a medication recommended by a friend or acquaintance.
Keep in mind if you give someone your ?prescription? anti whatever med and they drop dead as a result you are responsible.

Of the above mentioned remedies the only ones I suspect present no danger are chocolate, and the wrist bands. The chocolate probably works due to the caffeine in it.
Just have them read the package warnings and decide if it's applicable for them.

Ginger

I've had horrid motion sickness since I was a kid - cars, planes, roller coasters...bad news. Since I don't like taking meds unless I've got a "real" reason to take them, I tried ginger on a whim. Call it placebo if you want, but it works wonders for me. The capsules work the best, but I've even had pretty good luck by just eating a tiny bit of ginger right before I fly. I know it doesn't work for everyone, just like anything else, but for me it's very consistent and is the difference of keeping vs losing lunch. Don't be fooled by the "it's natural so it's obviously safe" commentary though. Like anything, there can be side effects and there are contraindications, so talk to a doc!

Last edited:
+1 for ginger pills

I have a family member that suffer the same issue and he takes ginger pills. He has never even been close to being sick. I would put him as a 8/10 for getting motion sick before that.

I am also plagued with motion sickness and the shock band is the best for me. I could not have earned my instrument rating without it! My wife bought it for me from Brookstone at that time, now Sporty's has them and they work! No drugs, no drowsiness but carry a spare battery. Works great on boats also. When the battery dies I chum. I wear it for almost every flight. Take a look at this product, it really makes the difference for me. It simply eliminates the possibility of that miserable feeling occurring.

Before getting my PP certificate I used Bonine or Dramamine and they worked great whenever I was a passenger, buy only the formulations that make you drowsy.

Motion sickness kept me from getting my certificate for many years. I found an instructor who said, "we'll just start slow and come back to the airport as soon as you feel any nausea". We would do some ground school and go back up again. After about 10 hours of instruction over a couple of weeks, I had become acclimated to the sensations and could easily last for full flights.

However, if I haven't flown for sometime, like over the winter. I ease myself back into it. Steep turns after a long layoff will get me a little queasy but I follow it up with some straight and level for a few minutes and I recover.

I even took aerobatic lessons. At the start, one loop and a straight and level flight back to the airport was all I could do. I just built up a tolerance for it over time.

I've been fascinated by my bodies reaction to the sensations of flight and have observed that it seems to be the unloading of G's that get me. Spins for example bother me very little. Going into a loop is not a problem but coming out level always give me a little queasiness. Rolls not much at all.

nausea

I didn't read all the other posts but of the few I read no one mentioned this, do not eat a big meal before going! Empty stomach is better or she will for sure lose it. The previously mentioned meds will help with the nausea.

Back