What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wesley Schierman

[email protected]

Well Known Member
One of the pioneers of RV formation standards and a founding member of the Blackjack Squadron, Wesley Schierman passed away this weekend. Wes, Marty, and Dick began flying their RV4s in close formation together in the late 80?s and expanded their group by developing a structured training program in the early 90?s that continues to this day. Over the years, nearly 50 fortunate aviators have been ?patched? to fly as Blackjacks.

There are extraordinary people living ordinary lives among us...

xx6w.jpg

Attached is a copy of ?A Bad Day at Son La" the personal story of Major Wesley D. Schierman, a 67th F-105D Thunderchief pilot, who was shot down over North Vietnam on August 28, 1965. Wes was captured and spent 7 1/2 years as a POW. After his release he returned to his civilian life as an airline pilot for Northwest Airlines.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=24E2567303FD3759!1717&authkey=!APmnKil6zAocgZs&ithint=file%2c.pdf

A memorial service is scheduled for Sunday at the Museum of Flight with a Missing Man formation by the Blackjack Squadron.

The date of the memorial service has been finalized for noon on Sunday January 26 at the Museum of Flight in Seattle at Boeing Field

The Silver Bracelet - Major Wesley Schierman
http://nancysoasis.com/bracelet/silverbracelet.html

Local Paper - Everett Herald
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...34/Family-friends-remember-former-Everett-POW

Last edited:
Hand salute...

...as a hero flies west. The Prayer light is on bright flash for his family. Throw a nickel on the grass.

Stephen, thank you very much for posting the links and information about Wes?s life and unfortunate passing. I flew several trips with Wes serving as his co-pilot on the B-747 at Northwest. He was a true gentleman and great guy to fly with. He would become quiet then reflective as we would fly over Vietnam on our ?south? flights out of Narita but never complained. His story about how he lived his life is a true testimony of his character and integrity.

RIP Wes Schierman

So sorry to hear about Wes Schierman's passing. I first met him and Marty Foy as I was planning the 25-ship Flyover at Oshkosh in 1997 for Van's 25th Anniversary at being at OSH. We talked over the phone, not knowing each other, and planned who, what, where. We each recruited formation pilots until we came up with the 25 required. We officially met at the designated parking area near Theater in the Woods, briefed, and flew to Dodge Co to practice along the way to from, critiquing in both locations. That was the first of many Large Formations at Oshkosh.

Following that Oshkosh, we continued conversations by phone and email, deciding we needed an organization to formalize standards. My discussions with Wes, Tom Poberesny, and Ed Robinson (FAA Airshow Coordinator) and subsequent documents resulted in the founding of FFI in 1999. I visited Wes and Marty at Arlington for three consecutive summers where I flew with the Blackjacks, was patched, and flew to Van's Reunion for flybys, one time doing a formation of all the RV models in one long Echelon for the cover picture of Van's calendar. Wes, Marty, and I were the original BOD of FFI and all the Blackjacks were carded. Then Wes and Marty decided they wanted to withdraw and just do their own thing with the Blackjacks. FFI continued without them.

Wes and I had another connection. He was a POW and I was a Mig Cap leader of the Son Tay Raid where we went in to try a rescue of POWs known to be at the Son Tay prison. Though there were no POWs there at the time, it precipitated the bringing of all the POWs back to a central location and allowed communications and accountability again. That relationship gave us an immediate bond as we forged the original FFI.

Farewell old friend, it was an honor to know and fly formation with you.

Stu (Falcon)

My Dad and I spent time with Wes helping in the build of his RV-12 as we had already built one. He was always great to talk to, though he never mentioned his back ground to us.

I flew with Wes a couple of times in my RV-12 as he was preparing for the first flight in his. At the time I had no idea of his back ground. Now that I do, I feel like a total idiot for trying to tell him how to fly.

He was very gracious and truly appreciated the time I spent flying with him.

He will be missed.

I regret I did not know Mr. Schierman. I morn his passing. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Tossing my nickel...

Every Thud driver that went north is a hero to me. I regret never meeting him.

We are poorer at this passing, both as a group, and as a nation. Let us never forget the greatness in our midst, and the humility that prevents us from seeing it. God bless those who serve...

Bob

Tailwinds Wes

I started flying in '87, met Dick Bentley at that time. A year later I bought a plane, based it out of AWO and met Wes and Marty there.

Those 3 guys had such a big influence in my flying life and my subsequent career change.

So many good memories of those early days watching the Blackjacks grow and spread the formation bug all over the Pac NW.

Cathy "White" Page

Hero gone west

Major Schierman, I salute you. I never met you, and I am the poorer for that.
Thank you for your brave service to the country we love so much.
R.I.P.

It is men like this that make me proud to be an American, and yet, saddens me for the ones I'll never get to know.

To those who have gone before...

I met Wes at a gas pump briefly in the late 90's on a foray through the NW USA in my then new RV4. We chatted about the RV4 and of course compared notes about combat flying in single seat, single engine fighters now and then. I kept thanking him for what he had done but he looked squarely at me and said no, "thank YOU for what you have done and are still doing". For us modern warriors, we can't truly appreciate how tough things are until we understand how tough things were..

Prayers for his family and heartfelt thanks…

V/R
Smokey
Phil 4:13

http://www.365promises.com/promise-photo-gallery/31-promises-for-may/5606620

Last edited:
true, very true!

We are poorer at this passing, both as a group, and as a nation. Let us never forget the greatness in our midst, and the humility that prevents us from seeing it. God bless those who serve...

Bob

My time in the Air Force was spent amongst the great men and aircraft that flew in Vietnam. They will forever have my respect and admiration and my life has been greatly enriched just by being around such men. I hope my youngest daughter ( in AF BMT as I write this ) will have the chance to know and learn from the current generation of heroes!

God Speed...

cm

Blue Skies

Blue Skies Wes, Having flown for 33 years with Northwest Airlines knowing Wes was a real high lite . Have a great flight west . George B RV7A Chino Ca

Blue Skies Wes, Having flown for 33 years with Northwest Airlines knowing Wes was a real high lite . Have a great flight west . George B RV7A Chino Ca

Though I never had the chance to fly with him, he was well known and highly thought of in the Northwest Airline community. Check Six Wes, we are right behind you.

I too had the pleasure of flying as copilot to Captain Schierman on the 747 at Northwest. Flying over Vietnam, heading to Bangkok, Wes tells me there is no need to talk to the controllers in Vietnam, we will just wait until we get to Thailand for our next call. Captains authority! Later on we met again as RV pilots. Rest in peace.

C A
RV 7A

As a 24 year USAF Maintainer who spent most of his time working fighter/attack aircraft and the Uncle of a USMC Infantryman with two tours in the Stan, I know personally the dedication and sacrifice of our veterans.
Nickel in the Grass, Wesley.
RIP Brother.

Go in peace BROTHER

I hope you can now reap a large reward for your years of dedication to our country. I read you story with great respect and humility and after three SEA tours it was only by the luck of the draw that I do not have a similar story to share. I will toss 8 nickels in the grass, one for each of your years of captivity.

Pete Pearson
MSgt USAF Ret

Farewell

Farewell with respect and gratitude for service. Hearing the stories here reminds me again why I proudly work at the VA. It's an honor to walk among heroes everyday.

Having read the article Maj Schierman wrote, and more about the US POW's, what a remarkable man.
Isn't it such a pity we often only get to reflect on these men (and women) after they have left us, and can no longer receive our appreciation?
His family must be very proud.

I just finished reading Mr. Schierman's POW account. What tremendous pain and sacrifice he and countless others have made for our country.

My heartfelt appreciation and respect go out to all of our noble veterans and POWs, and my sincerest condolences to the friends and loved ones that Mr. Schierman has left behind.

January 26 - Memorial for Wes at the Museum of Flight. Overwhelming turnout with great displays of memories. The museum provided a professional videographer... hopefully it will be edited up soon.

Heavy fog kept us from making the first half of the memorial but it finally lifted enough to make it in time to hear some of it and participate with an overflowing crowd at the Museum of Flight. We ended up with a 7-ship with a couple of guys shifting to cars when the fog shut them out. Very tight airspace with terrain, docks, cranes, underneath the Seattle Class B. First pass was in 3-4 followed with the Missing Man from Spear.

click for the photo for a video shot by acroflygirl

remembering Wes

I met Wes at Arlington in 1988 when I got the hanger he was moving out of. I was finishing my RV build, he was about done with his, and he came by often to keep track of my progress. Later, he gave me several hours of dual in the front seat of his -4, training me up for my first flights. Then on the day of, he flew chase with me in back while my test pilot took my RV up for first flight.

Later, Wes (and Marty and Dick of the BlackJacks) taught me formation flying and ACM - all of them waxed my behind regularly. I got to sit "strip alert" with Wes (that's what he called it) and the other BlackJacks, waiting for our time-slot at airshows and fly-ins we would do flybys at.

One time at lunch at Harvey Field (Washington state) shortly after the Gulf war started, Wes told me when he saw the footage of the combat pilots flying missions out of Saudi Arabia how much he wished he could "get back into the action!" - he used those words. Coming from a guy who paid such a high price for his earlier combat flying, my mouth just fell open. Then he followed up with "... but when I saw all that flak coming up, whoa, I've had plenty of that!". He didn't speak much about his POW experiences, one had to be patient and get to know him before he'd talk about it. And when he did, it was spellbinding. He just told the story straight, no embellishments. He was the most easy-going, nicest aviator I ever met.

Those were some of the greatest days. It will never happen again, but it happened once

thanks Wes,

- Steven
800+ RV hours
(three more last Saturday)

Back