What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: The Secrets of the Roll Bar...

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
After you finish primary fabrication of the RV-3 fuselage, you might run across a drawing in the back of the plans package that shows a couple of ?optional? roll bar designs ? one made from steel tubing, another from Aluminum plate. Of course, you can choose to have no roll bar at all. But the thought of going upside-down with nothing but the canopy and the vertical fin to keep the airplane off my neck is not thrilling to contemplate.

Looking at several build sites, we saw that modern fabricators have found different ways of welding up roll bars to their own designs. As long as it picks up the loads, and fits under the canopy?why not? With a good friend also building a -3B nearby, we occasionally trade ?custom built? parts, and he had said he would take care of roll bars for both projects. Little did I suspect just how beautiful these things would be ? with aerospace quality welds and a textured powder-coat finish, they are works of art ? and the fit is perfect! Here are a few pictures showing the tricks we used to install a one-piece bar and make the turtle deck skin fit around it. This of course means cutting holes and a slit for installation. I puzzled over it for a few weeks, and came up with this method.

The Roll Bar ? a work of art so beautiful, it came wrapped in plastic so as not to mar the finish!
IMG_5731.JPG

The first step was to take some heavy card stock, and cut a rectangular hole so that it fit around the roll bar, and could pick up the rivet holes in the seat-back bulkhead that were meant for the skin.
IMG_5746.JPG

We then use chunks of tape to approximate the curves needed to fit around the roll bar. The cleco holes give an accurate position for the template.

IMG_5747.JPG
IMG_5748.JPG

The taped hole was traced to another piece of card stock, the curves smoothed, rivet holes transferred, and it was fit-tested. This was then transferred to a piece of 0.016 aluminum, cut out, and fit tested again.

IMG_5749.JPG

Once we had a metal template that satisfied us, we transferred this to the big piece of Turtle deck skin, and the holes cut out. Big Gulp time ? there are LOTS of hours already in that skin! The little tab up front had to be twisted slightly to install.

IMG_5753.JPG

Final trimming was incremental to make the clearance around the roll bar tubes even.
IMG_5756.JPG

The finished skin with its two ?eye holes?:
IMG_5763.JPG

To cover up the slits used for installation, we made a little trim strip to go along the edge ? a doubler plate that is really just cosmetic:
IMG_5767.JPG

Riveting the entire assembly was simple, although we had to back-rivet between the roll bar tubes ? there was no way to get a gun in there with the sets we had on hand. Overall, it turned out pretty nice, and since it will all be under the canopy, it doesn?t need to be weather proof. To be honest, I spent a couple of days trying to figure out how to put edge roll in the space between the skin and roll bar, and came to the conclusion that it was just Gilding the Lilly, and we want this thing to be flying someday?.

Paul

Mate, I would like to copy your roll bar if you don't mind.

Would you describe the diameter and wall thickness of both the 4130 tubes and the radius of the bend.

My RV3B is just about at the point I should get the roll bar organized.

Thank you

Hi Ian

Trust you/Paul forgive me for butting in! I asked Paul a similar question, and as he details, it was made for him and IIRC he did not have the details.

We have produced a similar one, and in researching it, I learnt more than I ever wish to about bend radii / wall thicknesses etc.

We ended up, partly due availability of "bending equipment" with 1 1/4" OD 4130 tube, and a ~3" CLR IIRC. We tried it with 0.035" and it failed, 0.049" was OK. The plans call for 1 1/2" OD and 0.035", so we're down 1 size OD, and up 1 size on wall thickness. As with most things RV-3, I do not think the design specs are very refined ;)

The canopy clearance as you open it is critical. If the bend radii grows, and/or the centre is at all to the LHS, you will encounter issues. To get the maximum height for the roll bar (and some pictures of people flying RV-3's seem to show the roll bar well below their head level :mad: ), you might need to bias the highest point to the RHS, and as far forward as possible (this assumes the swingover canopy).

Let me know if you want more details and I can go and measure...

No need to try and bend tube. Get a U-bend from these folks. Figure out where to cut it, weld to a couple of straight pieces and you'll have a roll bar that looks every bit as good as a store bought one. Here's a photo.

And here's a photo of it being tested.

Tony

Thanks Andy and Tony for answering - I can't add anything else! I believe that you've covered it.

rollbar ideas

A couple more thoughts about overturn structures:

When a plane flips, it will first impact the ground inverted, then slide backwards, tail first. If the overturn structure does not have enough surface area on top, it can embed itself in soft ground on the initial overturn impact rather than hold the airframe up. When the plane slides, if the overturn structure is not designed for sliding backwards, it can bend-in on the pilot's neck.

A third point is the canopy stay. I used a lanyard for 14 years on my -3, got used to it, but if left open, any wind or prop blast tended to blow the canopy shut, and once actually opened it! Look at Randy Lervold's site closely for how he did the gas-spring canopy stay. That is the idea I used shown here in my pics - a gas-spring is orders of magnitude more ergonomic than a lanyard.

- Steven
800+ RV3 hours
(another one last weekend!)

2hqfdki.jpg

97ppie.jpg

To all who responded.

Thank you very much I now have a lot to think about, thanks for the tips and I'll study the job carefully with a can or two of Emu Export Lager.

Gas strut

I am working on the canopy and am considering a gas strut, BUT what happens if the canopy were to leave the aircraft in flight? The rivets on the hinge are designed to break away. Will the strut hinder that?

skimpy edge margin on the hole for the upper attach fitting - strong enough to handle normal opening cycles, but ought to readily tear out if the canopy goes

Steven strut option is for a fastback---something that would greatly distract from my joy in flying the -3. The full canopy is wonderful!

For those considering a roll bar like the one on Tsam...

Material: 1.5" .065 (16g) mild steel. Supplied and bent by Sharpe Products, a very affordable custom supplier of architectural handrail, bending, and rolling services.

Dimensions:
Bend radius: 3"
Bend angle: 121.3
*With the legs trimmed level to produce an overall height of 16.25", the outside width at the bottom of the legs will be 22.75" prox.

Weld braces and mounting plates on jig built to dimensions at placement position and angle of the longerons.

IMG_0377.JPG

Last edited:
Ernie did a masterful job on Tsam's roll-bar! He measured and cut a template for our finished fuselage to make sure it fit perfectly.

So Ernie - any progress to report on your -3? Or to busy rolling -12's out of classrooms all over the country?

Back