What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NAV Antenna Troubleshooting

Jim P

Well Known Member
I have an Archer nav antenna in the right tip. Currently, I get no signal on either my GNS480 or SL-20 (used a splitter per Garmin, both internally diplexed) so I assume I probably have some sort of antenna problem.

What's the best way to troubleshoot? I was thinking of starting from the units and Ohm out the cable to ensure the core doesn't gound, then check the antenna. I believe I have the strobe/ nav lighting routed per Archer instructions along the leading edge of the antenna.

Any guidance?

Thanks,

Jim

Splitter....

I have an Archer nav antenna in the right tip. Currently, I get no signal on either my GNS480 or SL-20 (used a splitter per Garmin, both internally diplexed) so I assume I probably have some sort of antenna problem.

What's the best way to troubleshoot? I was thinking of starting from the units and Ohm out the cable to ensure the core doesn't gound, then check the antenna. I believe I have the strobe/ nav lighting routed per Archer instructions along the leading edge of the antenna.

Any guidance?

Thanks,

Jim

First easy thing to try is to disconnect the splitter and replace it with a BNC coupler. See if each individual section of each radio works.

If they don't then check out the cable...

gil A

I seem to remember reading some of Bob Archers paper work and him saying not to connect two radios to one antenna.

I did read in his White Paper not to combine two antennas, but didn't see a reference against splitting to two radios.

Splitting works OK for me.

I split my Bob Archer to my SL30 and GNS430. It is split again get GS from Loc on one of the two radios, but I can remember which one.

It all work OK.

Kent

Triplexer duplexer

Hello Gil!

Another question. I bought a triplexer instead of a duplexer. Can I use it?
Thanks in advance.

Detlef

Sort of...

Hello Gil!

Another question. I bought a triplexer instead of a duplexer. Can I use it?
Thanks in advance.

Detlef

If it's a true triplexer, it will work, but probably would need a 50 ohm load on the output you are not using.

But you are wasting signal strength by splitting it into three when you only need to split it into two....:)

A duplexer would be better, unless you intend adding another radio to that antenna in the future.

Needs anybody a Triplexer?

If it's a true triplexer, it will work, but probably would need a 50 ohm load on the output you are not using.

But you are wasting signal strength by splitting it into three when you only need to split it into two....:)

A duplexer would be better, unless you intend adding another radio to that antenna in the future.

Thanks for your help!
Maybe there is somebody who is looking around to change a Duplexer into a Triplexer. Please email me detlili at email dot de

Best regards
Detlef

Back