What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changes/Problems with the Registration & DAR?

detlef lili

Well Known Member
Hi guys!

I will make some changes in my RV7. The fuel tanks will be bigger. How does it work with the registration and with the airworthiness certificate? Do I have to get the approval from somebody?

I don?t want to get through all the construction and at the end to be said: No, Sir , we can?t accept the changes you have made on your plane , you have to rebuid it all over again!!!

Detlef :confused:

Detlef,

I see you are located in Germany so you will have to check with the German authorities, if you are going to license it there.

Here in the States you are considered the manufacture so you are allowed to do anything you want. Heck, you could make the entire wing a fuel tank but you will still have to prove out the W&B for the inspector.

I read that Jon Johanson had to get Van's to write a letter to the Australian authorities to allow him to set the GW higher to accommodate all the fuel he was going to carry on his around the world flights.

Good luck and please post what you find out once you talk to your licensing agency.

Thanks Bill for the reply.
Although I have startet to build the RV7 here in Germany, I will finish the plane in the USA.
I hope not to get any problems there!
regards
Detlef

N941WR said:
Detlef,

I see you are located in Germany so you will have to check with the German authorities, if you are going to license it there.

Here in the States you are considered the manufacture so you are allowed to do anything you want. Heck, you could make the entire wing a fuel tank but you will still have to prove out the W&B for the inspector.

I read that Jon Johanson had to get Van's to write a letter to the Australian authorities to allow him to set the GW higher to accommodate all the fuel he was going to carry on his around the world flights.

Good luck and please post what you find out once you talk to your licensing agency.

Just notate any deviations to the plans, and take alot of pictures. A letter or email from Ken Kruger or someone stating it isn't a concern wouldn't be a bad idea. I made a few changes that could be considered structural, and after engineering review, they were fine with it.

Not a Problem

Like someone said you have to do the weight and balance and get it inspected for certification and test fly it but on the face of it the change you propose is not something that would cause alarm. I added two tanks extending the wingspan by 1.5 feet and increased the fuel capacity to 55 gallons on my RV-6A. On the flight line you would be hard pressed to detect the difference and the DAR had no problem with it.

Bob Axsom

Back