What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 10-14, step 1, dimpling aft fuselage side skins

iamtheari

Well Known Member
The instructions say to dimple the #30 holes in the side skins except as shown in Figure 1. Figure 1 helpfully circles 6 holes around the rudder cable exit point and says to dimple those, circles 4 holes in the lower aft corner and says not to dimple them, and says nothing at all about the remaining 4 #30 holes in the aft end of the side skin. Do those get dimpled or not?

The instructions say to dimple the #30 holes in the side skins except as shown in Figure 1. Figure 1 helpfully circles 6 holes around the rudder cable exit point and says to dimple those, circles 4 holes in the lower aft corner and says not to dimple them, and says nothing at all about the remaining 4 #30 holes in the aft end of the side skin. Do those get dimpled or not?

Yes, dimple them. IIRC the only #30 holes that do not get dimpled are the four where the rudder stop attaches.

Yes, those four get dimpled. A quick way to confirm is to look at the rivet call outs on p10-19 which specify 426 rivets. The six holes get pulled rivets so 120 degree dimples may be in order, and the four that don't get dimpled sit flush against the rudder stop.

Good call. I should have just looked forward to the rivet diagram. See my other post -- just not focused last night, I guess!

You're right that the AACQ4-4 rivets for the cable guides are 120-degree heads. I have a dimple die for that, but not a countersink bit. Given that they're pulled rivets, I can take care of the actual installation later and order a 120-degree countersink bit the next time I feel like ordering tools. Time to re-dimple those a little flatter. Thanks!

Back