What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Budget RV14 build

rvator10

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone given any thought to a budget RV14 build.
Q - Can a EA XIO-360-M1B R be used rather than using the recommended EA XIO-390-A3B6
Q -Will the engine fit the mount or would a special mount be required?
Q - Could I then run a fix pitch propeller?
VFR panel
thx

The IO-360-M1B is a fuel injected parallel valve engine of 180 HP that weighs ~ 40 lbs (ish) less than the recommended engines.

It would fit the mount but it would cause a serious C.G. issue you would have to deal with, especially with a fixed pitch propeller.

Not to mention that you would have an airplane with a gross weight 250 lbs higher than an RV-7, but an engine producing 20 HP lighter than the max recommended for an RV-7 (30 less than for an RV-14).

In basic terms it would perform somewhat like an RV-7 with 160 HP. That is still pretty good, but it will definitely be compromising the "Total Performance" that RV's are famous for.

CG is certainly critical and reducing the engine and propeller weight by 50-55 lbs would be devastating.
Thanks for your ideas

Isn't that the definition of 7?

That's sorta what I was thinking...'budget' and 'RV-14' don't really belong in the same sentence :D But I guess it's all relative to what your budget is. You could certainly build an RV-14 for a lot less than average if you leave it in bare aluminum, put in some second-hand avionics, and get an overhauled IO-360 (hard to find with the fwd prop governor, but if it's truly a budget build you're going fixed pitch and don't need the governor). You can also save a few $K getting the kit secondhand, I've done that on both my RV-14 and RV-8 kits but be prepared to re-do a bunch of stuff that the first builder messed up.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could give this guy a call and he could help you with a cost optimization strategy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RO9vDnbPtYU
Just don't ask me personally for aeroplane cost reduction advice. You pay $$ to remove some lead by installing a lithium battery and save 11lbs, then little voices in your head make you spend $$$$$ on adding 11 pounds of widgets in its place!!!
Tom.

I see from your bio that you are a multiple builder. I you really want light consider moving the engine forward. A smaller motor mount adaptor can be made; Vince Fraizer is the guy to talk to about that.
Of course your firewall forward kit will have to be modified, cowling, cables etc, but you would have the airplane that you want. 40 pounds is quite a bit; if you keep the panel very basic, no primer, light or no exterior paint you can still have a useful airplane.

Back