What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 53: ELT mounting and hookup

It should come when you order the RV14 ELT kit. Mine did not include the plans pages but they emailed me a copy and I printed at copy store.

I am at about the point to order the ELT and looking at the Artex 345. Any thoughts or critics of using Artex 345 instead? It can accept GPS data, a bit heavier but better battery life time.

I ran into major problems with freight with the recommended unit due to battery capacity.
I couldn't even get it on in hand luggage.
Is there a recommendation out there on an alternative please.

I am at about the point to order the ELT and looking at the Artex 345. Any thoughts or critics of using Artex 345 instead? It can accept GPS data, a bit heavier but better battery life time.

I don't have it yet but am planning to use the Artex 345. It just looks better quality to me than the ACK unit and one nice thing about Artex is they support the ability to do a full test to verify the satellite is getting the signal and correctly identifying your unit. To the best of my knowledge other ELT suppliers don't provide that service so you'll never know for sure that it works unless it's activated in an emergency.

A couple of thoughts...
1) if you can order an ELT installation kit, go that route. If you order the complete ELT you will be burning off expensive battery life before your first flight date. Buying the ELT itself is something you're best to do in the final few weeks before first flight.

2) I have, in the past, had some extremely bad dealings with Artex. So bad, in fact, that I ripped out and sold both my Artex 406 ELTs are replaced them with another brand and refused to recommend or install their products. Fast forward a few years. Artex as a company has been bought and sold a couple of times. The nature of the company and the people involved seems to have improved substantially. The nature of the product likewise seems to have improved substantially. I had a long and very detailed technical discussion with Artex while at Oshkosh. I came away from that discussion believing my ban on anything to do with Artex should be reconsidered.

3) for those who are flying with an Artex 345, I would really appreciate you taking a few minutes to share your experiences with installation, operation and maintenance of the device (please, pretty please?).

1) if you can order an ELT installation kit, go that route. If you order the complete ELT you will be burning off expensive battery life before your first flight date. Buying the ELT itself is something you're best to do in the final few weeks before first flight.

That's an excellent consideration.

If someone has a link or can share the ELT Section, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Here you go:

https://rv-14a.blogspot.com/search/label/53%20ACK%20ELT

In the box:

On the airframe:

Back