VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-22-2018, 09:41 PM

If you want your wife to beg you to buy an RV, just arrange a flight for her in a nice 10.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:32 PM

Default RV-9A

Dave
I hear your concerns and appreciate your asking questions on this forum
I have 650 hrs on my 9A that fits most of your criteria. My wife and I have flown it all over the west & NW.
I am currently building a 10, and will eventually have to let go of the 9A.
As to the safety factor, note that according to AOPA RVs are at least as safe as production planes. I am comfortable flying over mountains and open water (as much as one can in an SEL plane.
I also installed the antisplat nose gear mod.
All airplanes are a compromise, but I have found the RVs to have the best blend of features. Its the flying qualities that make us fly more than the usual GA pilots.....
Jim Frisbie
Old 03-22-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
This can be resolved by installing a cross brace at the seat belt cable fuselage attach point.
No - It can't, and it is a longstanding limitation of the 2-seat RV's. The accidents I referred to resulted in the fuselage longerons being displaced laterally around the cockpit area, in turn bringing the shoulder harness attachments forward. And it is not specific to any particular RV, an RV-3 did it when crashing on my school oval 20 years ago, and an RV-6 did it last year at Mudgee, and there are several I cannot recall the specifics that I'd have to Google. Which is why it is critically important you plan your unplanned arrival the best you can in the RV, lest the same thing happen to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATSB
The sides of the cockpit buckled outwards during the impact, allowing the fuselage behind the pilot to move forward, and the pilot's shoulder harness to slacken. He was no longer adequately restrained and received fatal injuries.
RV-3 VH-BEM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATSB
During the impact sequence, the sides of the cockpit buckled, reducing the liveable space and allowing the fuselage behind the pilot and passenger to move forward (Figure 4). As a result, both occupants’ shoulder harnesses slackened and the occupants were no longer adequately restrained.
RV-6 VH-TXF

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:19 AM

Default HBC

Come and hang around Home built camping at Oshkosh. Lots of women for your wife to meet. Plan on staying most all week. Let her get to know the girls and she will eventually come to realize there is no more fear in experamentals than certified.
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 03-23-2018, 09:39 AM

http://www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm
http://www.equipped.com/watertrees.htm

While not definitive the above articles do a pretty good job of giving a reasoned discussion on the matter using actual data, not hearsay.

Ditching is far from the death trap it's often parroted as, the vast majority being survivable. You are also likely to be uninjured in a water landing.

Nevertheless folks will continue to climb over each other to tell you otherwise.

Don't let myths, anecdotes, and old wives' tales force you into making rules for yourself that could get you killed some day. Look at the facts and draw your own conclusion.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM

The RV8 that went in the ocean off Kauai, HI landed into the wind at about 60 miles an hour. The pilot had slid open the canopy before touchdown. The aircraft remained upright in the water at about a 45 angle, nose down.

On impact the slider slammed shut and jammed, the windshield shattered and the cockpit filled with water. It's fortunate the pilot was able to force the canopy open and exit the plane. The plane floated for a few minutes before sinking. He treaded water for about 45 minutes before being rescued.

He had a flotation device and portable ELT with him which he grabbed before impact. Both were immediately lost when he hit. (They were in his lap). When I'm flying over water I'm wearing my floatation device.

I flew in this beautiful plane as a passenger and while it's a shame it was lost, it's wonderful that the pilot survived with little injury.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC_Dave View Post
http://www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm
http://www.equipped.com/watertrees.htm

While not definitive the above articles do a pretty good job of giving a reasoned discussion on the matter using actual data, not hearsay.

Ditching is far from the death trap it's often parroted as, the vast majority being survivable. You are also likely to be uninjured in a water landing.

Nevertheless folks will continue to climb over each other to tell you otherwise.

Don't let myths, anecdotes, and old wives' tales force you into making rules for yourself that could get you killed some day. Look at the facts and draw your own conclusion.
Those are interesting articles, but how many of the crashes in the statistics used for the article involved short-coupled, fixed-gear, high-CG aircraft with bubble canopies being the only means of egress?

Ditching an RV remains an outcome that is difficult to predict due to the extremely low number of occurrences. In any case it is a violent event that we all wish to avoid.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM

Default one more data point

okay Dave, you are getting ALL the feedback you asked for!...and then some!

a couple more points from a former -9a owner.

safety; to address some of the issues.....
upgrade to the rv-10 nosegear and 5.00x5 wheel...will possibly improve overall ground handling and reduce risk on those rough surfaces.
sit in any RV - the visibility HAS to be a big improvement in safety and situational awareness in the pattern...plus the feeling of spaciousness.

cost: look at the typical 10 year investment in your Mooney vs the RV. If you still don't like the numbers, get a partner, and build an RV-14

fit: get a -14a...solves 90% of my issues.. if not feasible, do the canopy slider and seat-back mods to get more seating options/accommodation.

wife approval: show her a couple of pristine RV's, talk to the builder/pilots to show how they know every nut and bolt....and have only a hundred or two hours on them ( ie. nearly all new components!)

Show her a couple of crappy 'certified' aircraft ( usually every third one on the ramp, leaking something!) and the oft clueless owners who may accompany them. Note the vintage, and that evey nut and bolt is 30 or 40 years old...radios out of date, replacement parts rare or exorbitant $$$ ....or both. Upgrade path for everything determined by the dang ol gummint, not you.
Lake Country, BC

....paid up til Nov. 2018
Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1963 View Post

wife approval: show her a couple of pristine RV's, talk to the builder/pilots to show how they know every nut and bolt....and have only a hundred or two hours on them ( ie. nearly all new components!)
And stop right there. You may want to *talk* about costs of type-certified aircraft, but I wouldn't do any of the "look how awful these planes are", unless you want to risk scaring her into not flying AT ALL.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Those are interesting articles, but how many of the crashes in the statistics used for the article involved short-coupled, fixed-gear, high-CG aircraft with bubble canopies being the only means of egress?

Ditching an RV remains an outcome that is difficult to predict due to the extremely low number of occurrences. In any case it is a violent event that we all wish to avoid.
At the time he appeared to be looking at total incidents. You're right there aren't a lot of examples, and the one that's often touted as proving "always" RVs flip is misleading (guy lands in shallow surf).

Just wanted to provide some reasoned analysis to the "You'll flip over and DIE!!1!" line of non-thinking.